CENTRAL BLOCK (ADAMS' GRAMMAR SCHOOL)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1054359

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jun-1978

Statutory Address: CENTRAL BLOCK (ADAMS' GRAMMAR SCHOOL), HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CENTRAL BLOCK (ADAMS' GRAMMAR SCHOOL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054359 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 01:28:25.

Location

Statutory Address: CENTRAL BLOCK (ADAMS' GRAMMAR SCHOOL), HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Telford and Wrekin (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Newport

National Grid Reference: SJ7439119195

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5362 SJ 7419 SW 1/13 28.4.52

HIGH STREET (West Side) Central Block (Adams' Grammar School) (formerly listed as Grammar School)

II* GV

2. 1656. Largely rebuilt and restored 1821. Ashlar central block: 2 storeys; divided by plain pilasters into 5 bays; 3 semi-circular headed windows; arcaded ground storey; formerly an open loggia, now has 5 glazed semi-circular headed doors leading into anti-chamber; parapet with inset balustrade at centre; tiled roof surmounted by cupola with clock face, the clock being original. Red brick side wings: 3 storeys; 3 sash windows; to each a restored or early C19 stuccoed pilaster doorcase with segmental pediment. Interior generally altered but left-hand wing (the Headmaster's House) contains good original staircase. The building is set back from street in grounds.

Listing NGR: SJ7439119195

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 255392

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing