TRINITY HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1054455
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1951
Statutory Address:
TRINITY HOSPITAL, HOSPITAL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRINITY HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054455 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jun-2019 at 18:19:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
TRINITY HOSPITAL, HOSPITAL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Clun
National Grid Reference:
SO3031581072

Details

SO 3081-3181 13/159 1.12.51

CLUN C.P. HOSPITAL LANE (East side) Trinity Hospital

GV II*

Almshouses. Founded in 1607 by Henry Howard, Earl of Northampton, and built in 1618 with alterations of 1857. Coursed limestone rubble with sandstone ashlar and red brick dressings; machine-tile roof. Dwellings and other rooms arranged around a square courtyard. One storey and attic. 2 large brick multi-diamond-shafted ridge stacks to South range, 3 integral lateral brick stacks to rear of both East and West ranges, and 4 integral lateral brick stacks to rear of North range; verge parapets. South (entrance) front: gables over ends and raised central gable containing circa 1857 two-light attic casement with returned hood- mould and large round-arched entrance with moulded jambs and imposts and 2 large C17 boarded studded doors with strap hinges and knocker; flanking circa 1857 gabled eaves-dormers with 2-light casements; 8- window front; casements with chamfered stone mullions and surrounds. Rear: central gable with 3-light attic casement and round-arched entrance with chamfered jambs and imposts; C17 timber framed eaves- dormer to left with 3-light casement and jettied gable with curved V- struts. One- and 2-light casements onto courtyard with chamfered stone mullions and surrounds; mainly C20 glazed and half-glazed doors with pilastered surrounds and bracketed hoods. North range: South front: central boarded square cupola with clock to South and pyramidal plain tile cap with globe finial and weathervane. 8-window front; central passageway, studded boarded door with strap hinges. North front: 8 windows with cavetto-moulded brick mullions and surrounds (see also West front). Central round archway with chamfered jambs and old studded boarded door with strap hinges. Interior: square-panelled timber framed cross walls; chamfered and stopped beams (also within archways); former communal dining hall to right at front containing some C19 hospital furniture and an example of the former hospital uniform; former warden's house (adjoining main entrance) is reputed to have a small C17 staircase with open strings, turned balusters and moulded handrail (Cf. 1967 provisional list); an example of a C19 hospital bed survives abandoned at rear of the building at time of resurvey (October 1984). The full name of these 6 almshouses is The Hospital of the Holy and Undivided Trinity. A well-preserved example of courtyard-plan almshouses.

Listing NGR: SO3031581072

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
257248
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].