CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1054683 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 06:51:17.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 33405 22339
SJ 32 SW; 7/41
KNOCKIN C.P., KNOCKIN
Church of St. Mary
Chapel-of-ease, now parish church. Circa 1182-95 for Ralph L'Estrange; partly rebuilt and extended 1847 and chancel restored in 1901. Roughly coursed and dressed red sandstone blocks and uncoursed red and grey sandstone rubble with yellow brick dressings; machine tile roofs with stepped coped verges and stone crosses to gables of transept, nave and chancel. Original 2-cell plan of nave and chancel with south transept and west bellcote of 1847; north vestry/organ chamber of 1901 and early C20 west porch.
Nave. North side buttressed in three bays has original round-headed window in west bay with projecting chevron decoration to soffit of arch, hoodmould and moulded imposts; C19 windows in imitation to centre and east bays. South side has elaborately moulded C19 paired broad lancets with yellow brick heads to east of gabled transept. This has triple stepped lancets with hoodmould and foliated label-stops to south and paired broad lancets to east and west walls. Similar paired broad lancets to west of transept. West wall has paired broad lancets with hoodmould and head-stops. Gabled yellow brick bellcote above has pointed louvred openings, double on east and west and single to north and south; pierced trefoils above on east and west and fish-shaped weathervane. Late Perpendicular-style porch has segmental arch with blind ogee above and foliated label-stops; embattled parapet to sides continued round to low-pitched gable. Chamfered rectangular windows on north and south and door has blind Gothic tracery. Doorway of 1847 behind has shouldered arch. Chancel. South side buttressed in two bays on chamfered plinth continued to east end. Round-headed priest's doorway in west bay has hoodmould, carved imposts and projecting chevron decoration to soffit of arch. Recessed segmental tympanum and one order of shafts with waterleaf carving to capitals. C19 Romanesque-style window to east. East window of 1847 has triple round-headed lights with chevron decoration to soffits, divided by plain pilasters with moulded imposts. Recessed quatrefoil above. Twin-gabled vestry/organ chamber to north has round-headed windows to east and to west gable on north. Lean-to to west has doorway with shouldered arch.
INTERIOR. Apparently blocked late C12 north arcade of four single-chamfered round-headed arches with hoodmould, circular piers, square chamfered bases, moulded capitals, one with waterleaf carving, and polygonal abaci. The whole leans inwards to south suggesting that it is not in situ. Heavily restored C17 double-purlin roof in three bays to nave with raking struts from collars to principal rafters. Similar C19 roof to transept supported on massive carved wooden corbels and C19 arch-braced collar beam roof in two bays to chancel with cusped struts from collars to cusped principal rafters. Pointed chancel arch with corbelled responds 1901. Round-headed arch (1901) on same line as north nave arcade leads from chancel to organ chamber. Priest's door blocked and C19 Romanesque-style piscina on north side of chancel. Tub-shaped font with two plain bands to centre and to rim and base probably C12. Stained glass in transept and in windows to east on south side of nave 1847, remainder late C19 or early C20, including east window of c.1915. Other fittings and furnishings late C19 or later, although pews incorporate some earlier panelling and reading desk has carved panel with superscription "IB 1674". No monuments of note. The presence of the north nave arcade is puzzling. There is no sign of blocked arches externally and the window in the west bay appears to be genuine C12 work. The existence of a short section of chamfered plinth to west of south transept indicates that it cannot have been orginally on that side and prints of the church made before 1847 do not show an aisle on that side. It may possibly have been brought from another church. The earthworks of a substantial and probably roughly contemporary motte and bailey castle (Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No. 161) lie immediately to east. On building the church, originally a dependent chapelry of Kinnerley, Ralph L'Estrange granted the advowson to Haughmond Abbey.
Listing NGR: SJ3340522339
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 796-797
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 162
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing