Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055052
Date first listed: 14-Nov-1986
Statutory Address: CHIRBURY HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055052 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Mar-2019 at 03:52:20.
Statutory Address: CHIRBURY HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish: Chirbury with Brompton
National Grid Reference: SO 26162 98585
CHIRBURY C.P. CHIRBURY
SO 29 NE
8/53 Chirbury Hall -
Farmhouse. 1736 remodelling of earlier building with C19 additions and alterations. Uncoursed limestone rubble with angle quoins and red brick dressings; slate roof has coped verges on kneelers and finials to gable ends. Main block of 4 bays with C19 L-shaped service range to right. 2 storeys and attic; 4-window front, late C19 casements to first floor and C20 sash windows to ground floor, all with segmental brick heads, C20 French window to left, 4 late C19 gabled dormers in bottom of roof slope; entrance between third and fourth windows from left, late C19 gabled timber porch with contemporary half-glazed inner door; axial red brick ridge stack immediately to left of entrance with subsidiary ridge stack between first and second windows from left. Datestone "RAP/HERES/E 1736 M" to left gable end. Interior: partly infilled inglenook fireplace to right ground-floor room has massive carved wooden lintel with quatrefoil patterns, rose motifs and crudely carved human figures, 2 of whom are carrying an unidentifiable object, probably late C16 or C17 but possibly monastic in origin; a medieval piscina bowl is re-set vertically in the window jamb; main ground-floor room has 2 chamfered cross beams with stepped stops and panelling in corner where door gives access to cellar; rectangular oak panelling to left ground-floor room, some in situ but that to gable wall formerly under chamfered spine beam forming partition; further C17 panelling (not in original position) forms overmantel to fireplace, the decorative carving including the round-headed arch motif; early C18 staircase to back wall has rather stumpy turned balusters on first floor and there are similar balusters to attic staircase; main feature of first floor is the panelling running full length of corridor, rectangular panels with simple moulding to top, a motif repeated on door to left end room; cross walls said to be timber framed but concealed by plaster and wallpaper at time of resurvey (October 1985). In the garden are a large number of medieval worked stones (not included in this list) from the former Chirbury Priory, including several pieces of window tracery, which may have been removed from the Church of St. Michael (q.v.) during the restoration of 1871-2.
Listing NGR: SO2616298585
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 257378
Legacy System: LBS
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing