CHURCH OF ST EDITH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1055078

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1958

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST EDITH, CASTLE PULVERBATCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDITH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055078 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 07:46:25.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST EDITH, CASTLE PULVERBATCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Church Pulverbatch

National Grid Reference: SJ 42992 02921

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 40 SW CHURCH PULVERBATCH C.P. CHURCH PULVERBATCH

8/21 Church of St Edith - 13.6.58 GV II*

Parish church. Medieval or earlier origins, re-built 1853 except for west tower of 1773. Uncoursed conglomerate rubble with ashlar dressings, plain tile roofs. Nave and chancel in one, west tower, north aisle and south porch. Tower: Classical style; 3 unequal stages with chamfered rusticated quoins, parapet with urns to corners above a corbelled moulded cornice; 4 round-headed windows with Y-tracery to top belfry, second stage has oculus with 4 raised keystones above west window also with raised keystones (stone slab beneath records names of rector and churchwardens responsible for building of tower); west door in Gibbs surround, now blocked and with 3-light mullion window inserted; stone clock with painted numerals to second stage on south side probably also 1773, round-headed door below with raised keystone and imposts, approached by 2 flights of stone steps from ground. Nave: 3 bays, 2-light Gothic style windows with gabled stone porch projecting from first bay to west on south. Chancel: with pointed south door and highly cusped lancet to east has a Gothic style east window of 3 stepped lights with cusped trefoils and cinquefoils above. Gabled north aisle runs almost whole length of nave and chancel; 2 widely spaced Gothic style windows on north with pointed doorway to north-east corner, 2-light windows to east and west ends. Interior: plain mid- to late C19 appearance; arch-braced roof in 5 bays, west gallery lit by semi-circular window contemporary with tower, 3-bay north arcade with pointed arches and circular piers; box pews and plain, probably mid-C19 octagonal font. No monuments of note. The church is set in an elevated circular graveyard, suggestive of an early origin, and commands extensive views over the surrounding countryside. Graded II* on account of west tower. B.o.E., p.100; D.H;s. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 (1903), p.474.

Listing NGR: SJ4299202921

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 259322

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 474
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 100

End of official listing