CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055289
Date first listed:
13-Jun-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055289 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 13:28:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Harley
National Grid Reference:
SJ 59622 01471

Details

HARLEY C.P. HARLEY SJ 50 SE 4/48 Church of St Mary 13.6.58. GV II

Parish church. Medieval origins, re-built, except for C13 and C15 west tower, by S. Pountney Smith in 1846. Regularly coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings, machine tile roofs with coped verges. Nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. Tower: 3 stages, bottom 2 stages C13, embattled top stage late C15; cusped 2-light windows with hoodmoulds and carved heads as label stops to belfry, string course below parapet with gargoyles to corners; second stage has short lancets on north and south and clock (c.1814) on west; late C15 west window of 3 lights to ground stage has cusped panel tracery and hood- mould with carved heads as label stops. Nave: buttressed in 3 bays, 2-light Gothic-style windows with hoodmoulds; gabled porch projecting from first bay to west on south. Chancel: of 2 bays on high chamfered plinth, lancets with hoodmoulds and scrolled label stops; pointed doorway to centre on south and east window of 3 stepped lancets. Interior: pointed double-chamfered tower arch dying at responds; King-post roofs to nave and chancel with pointed chancel arch; re- positioned late C18 high box pews and C12 circular font with circular pedestal and plinth; oak chest with 3 fleur-de-lys strap hinges probably medieval; stained glass in chancel and west window by David Evans of Shrewsbury, including medallions in Flemish style to east window (cf: Christ Church, Cressage C.P.). Monuments: in chancel, brass of knight and lady (c.1480) said to be Sir Richard Lacon, Sheriff of the county, and his wife; figures of children (8 sons and 5 daughters) below; primitively carved wall memorial (north side) to Benjamin Jenks, rector (died 1724) and below one C17 and one C18 headstone to members of the Harnage family moved inside from the churchyard; wall tablet to Jenks's first wife in tower and two C18 hatchments to members of the Harnage family flanking chancel arch. A tablet recording the re-building of the church is in the tower. B.o.E., Pp. 139-40; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 (1903), Pp. 491-2.

Listing NGR: SJ5962201471

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
258831
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 491-2
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 139-40

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11272/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].