HIGH HATTON HALL
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1055388
Date first listed: 28-Oct-1960
Statutory Address: HIGH HATTON HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055388 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2019 at 22:25:42.
Statutory Address: HIGH HATTON HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish: Stanton upon Hine Heath
National Grid Reference: SJ 60663 24870
SJ 62 SW STANTON UPON HINE HIGH HATTON
10/140 High Hatton Hall
Small country house. Dated 1762, probably by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard (1723-1777) with mid- and late C19 ashlar additions. Red brick with tooled grey sandstone ashlar plinth; pyramidal slate roof. Square plan. Three storeys over basement. Chamfered plinth and moulded stone cornice with blocking course. Central brick stack (rebuilt above roof in late C20) and probably C19 external lateral stack to north. East (entrance) front: 1:1:1 bays with central break; glazing bar sashes with gaugued brick heads and painted stone cills. Two-light stone-mullioned basement windows, some replaced with C19 two-light wooden casements. Flight of 5 stone steps (with the remains of wrought-iron balustrade) up to central 6-panelled door with doorcase consisting of lugged architrave, pulvinated frieze, and large console brackets supporting moulded cornice (breaking forward over brackets). South front: 1:3:1 bays; central full-height semi-octagonal bay. Flanking trompe-1 oeil blind windows. Lead downpipes in angles of bay have quarter-round rainwater heads with elephant and castle on each. Rear (garden front): 2:2 bays. Left- hand ground-floor window with low panelled door below; stone steps up with plain railings. Datestone in north wall (obscured by later additions: R P C Pair of C19 two storey gabled service wings to north. Interior: 1762 complete C18 fittings, graded in embellishment from ground floor to second floor. Entrance hall: plain dado with moulded rail, and moulded cornice. Staircase rising to second floor; 3 flights to each floor around rectangular well; open string with pierced cut brackets, 3 balusters per tread (2 twisted flanking single turned), ramped moulded handrail, curtail and Tuscan newel posts; ramped dado panelling with panelled dies. Drawing room: plain dado with rail. Moulded cornice. Fireplace with lugged architrave, frieze with carved foliage, and moulded cornice. Two doorcases, each with lugged architrave, pulvinated frieze, dentil cornice and triangular pediment. Three-bay screen with unfluted Composite columns and pilasters, each supporting dosseret with pulvinated bay leaf frieze and modillion cornice with alternating paterae. Small room off drawing room with plain dado and fireplace with lugged architrave, pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice. Dining room: plain dado and enriched moulded plaster cornice. Fireplace with carved lugged architrave, pulvinated oak leaf frieze, carved cornice, and lugged panel above with Greek key decoration to lower edge. First- floor landing: moulded dentil cornice. Two doorcases, each with architrave, frieze with curved ends, and moulded cornice. Central back bedroom: fireplace with carved lugged architrave, frieze with carved foliage, and cornice with egg and dart enrichment. Left-hand back bedroom: cornice with Greek key ornament. Fireplace with lugged architrave, frieze with carved foliage and central panel, and cornice with bead and reel and Greek key ornament. Small dressing room off with plain cornice. Second floor: landing with moulded cornice and doors with plain architraves. One bedroom has fireplace with lugged architrave, pulvinated frieze, moulded cornice, and cast-iron grate. Other bedroom has fireplace with plain panelled pilasters, frieze with central panel, and dentil cornice. Six-panelled doors and panelled internal window shutters throughout. Barrel-vaulted cellars. The elephant and castle motif on the rainwater heads and the initials on the datestone suggest that this house was built for a member of the Corbet family. Designs exist for a chimneypiece by T. F. Pritchard at High Hatton. Colvin, p.664.
Listing NGR: SJ6066324870
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 260136
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 664
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing