Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055416.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 00:18:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Myddle and Broughton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 50450 23444


SJ 5023-5123 BROUGHTON C.P. CHURCH ROAD, Yorton (south-west side)

16/7 Church of Saint Mary - - II

Parish church. 1858. Dressed grey sandstone with slate roof. 6-bay nave and chancel in one with western bellcote and vestry to north. Early Decorated style. Chamfered plinth, buttresses with chamfered offsets, and parapeted gable ends with moulded kneelers and wrought- iron crosses at apexes. Square bellcote with battered lead-sheathed lower section, 3 x 3 trefoil-headed openings, and steep pyramidal slate (some in fishscale pattern) cap with sprocketed eaves. Chamfered trefoil- headed lancets to north and south, those in eastern bay taller with trefoil above; south doorway in second bay from east consisting of moulded arch dying into chamfered reveals with broach stops, hoodmould with carved stops, and boarded door with strap hinges. West end: tall central buttress with chamfered offsets and flanking trefoil-headed chamfered lancets linked by continuous cill string and hoodmould, both with carved stops. East end: east window with 3 trefoil-headed lights (centre ogee), cusped circles in tracery, chamfered reveals, and hoodmould with carved stops; cill string, dropping at sides of window, returning along the north and south walls, and ending in the second bay from east with carved stops; small cusped opening in apex of gable above window. Small north vestry in second bay from east with chamfered plinth, hipped slate roof with wrought-iron finial, and external stone stack to west with chamfered offsets and chamfered cap. Window to front with 2 chamfered trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil plate tracery; doorway in left-hand return front with moulded arch, chamfered reveals with broach stops, and boarded door with strap hinges. Interior: trussed rafter roof with chamfered arch-braced collars at each end. Vestry doorway with moulded arch, chamfered reveals with broach stops, and boarded door with strap hinges. Fittings include: late C19 or early C20 reredos, sanctuary wainscot panelling, lectern, pews and stone tub font. Early to mid-C18 communion rails [probably reused from the old church of St. Mary (q.v.)] with turned balusters, moulded rail and central gate. There is a watercolour of the old church of St. Mary and its churchyard before 1858 and an oil painting of the ruins. This church replaced the old church of St. Mary (q.v.) which subsequently fell into ruin. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural account of the churches of Shropshire, Shrewsbury churches, pp.852-3; B.O.E., p.87.

Listing NGR: SJ5045023444


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 852-3
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 87


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15616/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril Baldwin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].