SERVICE COURTYARD RETAINING WALL AND ADJOINING OUTBUILDINGS ADJOINING PITCHFORD HALL TO WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1055535
Date first listed:
14-May-1986
Statutory Address:
SERVICE COURTYARD RETAINING WALL AND ADJOINING OUTBUILDINGS ADJOINING PITCHFORD HALL TO WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of SERVICE COURTYARD RETAINING WALL AND ADJOINING OUTBUILDINGS ADJOINING PITCHFORD HALL TO WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055535 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 15:40:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
SERVICE COURTYARD RETAINING WALL AND ADJOINING OUTBUILDINGS ADJOINING PITCHFORD HALL TO WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Pitchford
National Grid Reference:
SJ 52745 04222

Details

PITCHFORD C.P. PITCHFORD SJ 5204 - 5304 12/130 Service courtyard - retaining wall and adjoining outbuildings adjoining Pitchford Hall to west GV II Service courtyard, retaining wall and adjoining outbuildings. 1870's and 1880's, probably by George Devey. Coursed sandstone rubble with red brick parapet and sandstone coping, ramped up to east. L-plan with rounded corner, forming south and west sides of the service courtyard to Pitchford Hall; approximately 45 metres long and 4 metres high. Outbuilding in south-west corner; sandstone rubble with lean-to plain tile roof, and lean-to loggia adjoining to north. Kennels in south-east corner; rendered brick with some planted timbers, lean-to plain tile roof, and open front with sandstone ashlar columns consisting of clustered shafts with moulded bases. This wall and adjoining buildings are probably part of the alterations and additions by George Devey at Pitchford Hall (qv) in the 1870's and 1880's.



Listing NGR: SJ5274604221

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
259788
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08943/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M. I. Joachim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].