This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TEWIN WATER SCHOOL WITH FORMER STABLE BLOCK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TEWIN WATER SCHOOL WITH FORMER STABLE BLOCK

List entry Number: 1055727

Location

TEWIN WATER SCHOOL WITH FORMER STABLE BLOCK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tewin

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jun-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 356272

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TEWIN TEWIN WATER TL 21 SE 5/162 Tewin Water School 20.10.52 with former Stable Block (formerly listed as Tewin Water) - II

Country house, now school. Rebuilt 1789 for 3rd Earl Cowper. Remodelled 1798 by J.T. Groves for H. Cowper. Altered 1892. Enlarged and renovated 1902 for A. Beit. Stuccoed brick. Shallow hipped slate roofs. Greek Revival Style, an H on plan. 2 storeys and attics. Entrance front 2:5:2. Giant Ionic order, pilasters to outer bays, tetrastyle in antis portico with paired columns to recessed centre, continuous entablature. Ground floor: central early C20 double doors, 2/3 glazed and panelled with ironwork, margin lights, Ionic pilastered architrave in a segmental relieving arch. Flanking full length tripartite sashes with blind boxes, casements and 9 pane sashes in projecting outer bays with segmental relieving arches. Plat band to first floor, central tripartite casements with pilastered architraves with rosettes, flanking tall casements. Attic with mixed small sashes and casements, cornice to parapet. Left return, 3:1:3 with central Giant Ionic distyle in antis portico, pilasters to outer bays, continuous entablature. Central largely glazed door, reeded surround with rosettes. Central first floor window opens onto a curved balcony with iron railings. Outer bays are shallow 2 storey bows, casement windows. Astylar garden front, 2:3:2, central bays set well back with early C20 ground floor flat roofed projection, 5 round headed windows, pilaster strips to large festooned urns on parapet. First floor, central 'Venetian' window, tripartite sashes, one dummy. Plat band to first floor and cornices above and below attic continue. Outer bays have segmental ground floor and round headed first floor relieving arches. Interior: remodelled c.1902 with neo-classical plasterwork, panelling, and columnar screens. Top-lit open well stair with scrolled iron balustrade, moulded ramped handrail, paintings at top. Ground floor room to rear right has elephant hide on walls above panelling. Attached to right from front is a 2 bay early C20 service block set back slightly, cornice to coped parapet. Added to front of this a 6 bay 1 storey range with 5 full height casements and 1 glazing bar sash all with segmental relieving arches. To rear a 1 bay 2 storey service block with a 1 storey hipped outshut behind a 5 bay curved link with relieving arches over glazing bar sashes, urns on pilasters leading to former stable block, converted to school use 1798. Pebbledashed brick. Hipped slate roof. 3:3:3 bays, extended to right. 2 storeys. Centre projects with plinth, tall round headed recess with loft door, C20 casements. Ground floor openings all round headed. First floor flush frame 3 light small pane casements. Eaves cornice. Central shallow pediment with clock. Louvred gabled ventilators on ridges. To right 2 bay former coach-house with iron columns. Red brick to rear. Following a visit to Tewin Water in 1799 H. Repton submitted a Red Book for H. Cowper to consider in conjunction with Repton's scheme for Panshanger, Hertingfordbury Civil Parish (q.v.). (Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2554914596

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 25549 14596

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055727 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 12:12:45.

End of official listing