CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1055749

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055749 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 08:19:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale (District Authority)

Parish: Newnham

National Grid Reference: TQ 95401 57627

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 95 NE NEWNHAM THE STREET (south side)

4/48 Church of St. Peter and 24.1.67 St. Paul

GV II*

Parish Church. Circa 1200, extended C14 and extensively restored 1868. Flint with plain tiled roofs. Chancel with north and south chapels, nave with aisles, north west tower and north porch. Two stage tower with broach spire and lucarnes, heavily restored exterior with lancets in south aisle and chancel south wall, otherwise C19 or C15 windows. Interior: nave with north arcade c.1200 of 2 chamfered arches on square pier and responds with simple abaci, with similar arch from north aisle to tower. South arcade C14 with 3 double hollow chamfered arches on octagonal piers, and similar arch to south chapel. Roof of 4 crown posts. Chancel arch simple C12 arch on abaci with clasped attached shafts. Chancel with 1 south lancet, and crenellated wall plate, north and south chapels with roofs of 3 crown posts each, with crenellated and moulded wall plates; simple chamfered arches to chancel. Fittings: cusped piscina and trefoil headed niche and arched aumbrey in chancel, and chamfered piscina in south chapel. Full set of C19 fittings including reredos, altar rails, double decker pulpit, box pews, choir stalls and benches and octagonal font. Monuments: on the south wall of chancel, white marble wall tablet to John Hulse, d.1681, with scrolled and foliated Ionic pilasters, with cherub's head and draped urn, and swan-necked pediment, all on base with cherubs' heads, brackets and swags. (See BOE KENT II 1983, 40) .



Listing NGR: TQ9540157627

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 176454

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 40

End of official listing