38 Stafford Street

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056092

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Dec-2018

Statutory Address: Market Drayton, TF91JB

Map

Ordnance survey map of 38 Stafford Street
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056092 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2019 at 01:09:16.

Location

Statutory Address: Market Drayton, TF91JB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Market Drayton

National Grid Reference: SJ6773334297

Summary

A C18 dwelling with attached rear wing constructed of brick and some sandstone.

Reasons for Designation

38 Stafford Street is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* as a neatly-designed and well-built C18 house it is a good example of the regional vernacular traditions of the period; * it retains key structural elements of its historic interior including chamfered beams; * the attached rear wing is of slightly later date with C19 and later adaptations, and it illustrates the historic evolution of the building.

History

38 Stafford Street and its rear wing are of C18 and C19 origin with later adaptations and extensions, and they are shown on the Drayton in Hales Tithe Map of 1837 with a detached outbuilding to the rear. Also shown is another dwelling beside it, which was formerly number 36 (also known as Creamery House), with a gap between them. Both buildings had attached structures extending to the rear of their plots, and a dotted line along their garden indicating their separate occupation. They are recorded as houses and gardens under the ownership of Thomas Burton, who also occupied number 38. The occupier of number 36 was Edward Cockain.

The Ordnance Survey Map of 1890 shows the gap between the two houses as covered, indicating that a carriage arch with rooms above that was constructed between the buildings had been built by this time. Further buildings are also shown attached to the rear of number 36, partially enclosing the garden to form a courtyard. The 1902 OS map shows an additional series of buildings on an irregular plan extending west into the adjacent plot, which were later removed.

From the mid-C20, the rear wing to number 38 was extended and adapted to include the former outbuildings, and was in use as a veterinary surgery. Alterations to the main building have included some reordering of the floor plan and replacement of features such as stairs, fireplaces and windows. By 1965 the C18 Creamery House was demolished and the buildings to the rear adapted and incorporated into an adjoining commercial garage.

In 2018, 38 Stafford Street is unoccupied.

Details

A C18 house with later alterations and additions.

MATERIALS: red brick with some sandstone block to the rear wing. The roofs are cover in plain tiles.

PLAN: on an L-plan. The principal building fronting the road is of three storeys plus cellars. The attached rear wing is of two storeys. There are attached outbuildings of single storey*.

EXTERIOR: the two-window road front has a plat band and dentil brick eaves cornice, a stone plinth and two 8/8-pane sashes without horns to the ground floor. Between them is a door with six raised and fielded panels, moulded architrave, a late-C20 hood with an open-pediment and three stone steps. The first floor has 6/6-pane sashes with horns and the second floor has timber casements. All the window openings have painted flat heads and cills. The painted bay* to the right (number 36) is not included. The rear elevation has a casement to the first floor and sashes to the attic floor in dormers breaking through the eaves. The pitched roof has two C20 brick ridge stacks, one to the left gable end and one to the right.

The rear wing (south east) has dentil brick eaves cornices and an informal arrangement of openings to the east and west elevations with modern casements. The door to the east driveway may be a modified carriageway. To the roof is a large brick ridge stack. Attached to the rear of the wing are single-storey brick and sandstone outbuildings with tile roofs.

INTERIOR: the two principal rooms of the ground floor have been opened out and there are C20 fireplaces to each end. The spine beams to the first-floor structure are exposed and of late-C17 or C18 date, with some visible additional reused timbers. To the rear is an enclosed lateral stair and behind that, in the first bay of the rear wing, is a kitchen with inglenook and a late-C18/ early-C19 spine beam. The upper floors have some exposed timber structure that includes altered and reused elements. There are ledged plank doors of various dates across the building. The rear wing and its extensions have no fittings of historic interest.

* Pursuant to s1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that these aforementioned features are not of special architectural or historic interest.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 260397

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing