CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056143

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056143 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 01:45:51.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Chillington

National Grid Reference: ST 38971 11087

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST31SE CHILLINGTON CP CHILLINGTON VILLAGE 1/1 Church of St James

4.2.58

GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. C13 origin, modified early C14 and in C15, restored in 1842 and 1909. Ham stone and local lias stone rubble, Ham ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs with stone slate base course, coped gables to all but west end of nave, which is plain; simple stone bell turret with 2 bells at west end. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, of C13 and C14, 3-bay nave of later C14. South transept/organ chamber of 1909: north vestry, probably of 1842, and south porch, dated 1731. Chancel has chamfered plinth, eaves course, angled corner buttresses. East window 3-light Y-tracery probably early C19, set in hollowed recess without label. On north a single-light cinquefoil cusped window without label. To south a smaller similar light towards west, and a 2-light trefoil-cusped window to east, both without labels, and between them a narrow, chamfered cambered-arched doorway. South transept has a 2-light reticulated window in south wall, with external ferramenta. In north-east corner a splayed adjunct with boarded door under simple leaded fanlight with matching sidelight, under flat roof. Porch abuts transept, with coped gable with cross finial, and date plaque inscribed 'TS/CHW/1731' in an ovolo-mould panel, simple pointed archway with label and small light in west wall. Inside are bench seats and simple inner doorway. Nave has angled corner buttresses to west gable. No window on south side, the west window a 2-light, late C14/early C15 traceried with square-stop label, and with 2 deep putlog holes in wall alongside. North wall has 2 C18 windows of 3 lights, 4-centre-arched lights with carved spandrils set into square-arched wave-mould recesses without labels. Projecting vestry with similar 2-light window, but with 3-centre-arched heads to lights, with doorway in east side. Inside, chancel has arch-braced collar-truss roof renewed in 1909. Simple fittings mostly C19. Panelled chancel arch of C15 to almost full width of nave; semi-circular arch into splay, and elliptical arch into transept. Arch braced collar truss nave roof. Nave furniture of C19 and C20, the pews of 1909-1935. Traces of painting on chancel arch, and also sockets for the rood screen. The two bells by Thomas Bilbie II, of 1782. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978).

Listing NGR: ST3897111087

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 262250

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978)

End of official listing