This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WAKE HILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WAKE HILL

List entry Number: 1056194

Location

WAKE HILL, MOOLHAM LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Dowlish Wake

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262173

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DOWLISH WAKE CP MOOLHAM LANE (North side.off) ST31SE KINGSTONE CROSS

2/46 Wake Hill - GV II

Detached housa. Before 1831. built by Revd Hugh Speke, rector 1827-56. Local stone rubble, colourwashed: Welsh slate roofs, with some concrete tiles, having plain gables; rendered chimney stacks. In a later form of cottage prens': 2 storeys, 4 bays 3 bays, with added verandah on 3 sides. All windows are arched casements: to ground floor 4-centre arched French doors, with part-glazed door to match set in centre of east gable; first floor windows all pointed-arched 2-liqht in flat-arched openinq; all windows divided into small panes with 'Y'-tracery to heads: the verandah has a hipped slate roof carried on cast-iron columns, with timber infill panels of 4-centre arches with quatrefoil decoration added over columns: underneath is a pointed arched vaulted ceiling. Interior has retained most of the original features of skirtinqs, ceiling covings, panelled doors and doorcases, more Georgian than Regency in detail; the inner hill has a cast-iron overthrow arch across the centre, and at the north end a staircase with simple balusters of very early Cl9 detail. Attached to the north-east corner a later wing of servants quarters, stables etc, modified and of lesser interest. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, l978, pl55).

Listing NGR: ST3752513676

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 155

National Grid Reference: ST 37525 13676

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056194 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 05:55:51.

End of official listing