3, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056445

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Statutory Address: 3, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 3, HIGH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056445 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 15:52:15.

Location

Statutory Address: 3, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Bruton

National Grid Reference: ST 68334 34907

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST6834NW BRUTON CP HIGH STREET (North side)

8/76 No 3

24.3.61

GV II

House with shop in row. C18. Ashlar stone painted; concrete double Roman tile roof between abutments behind parapet; brick end chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 7 bays. Plinth, rusticated quoins, cornice and shallow parapet central door of early C19 pattern with half-round cast iron fanlight over set into sub-arch flanked by attached Doric columns on fielded panelled plinths, with entablature and pediment; to bay 1 a 12-pane shop window with cast iron mullion with semi-circular arched doorway to right; to bay 3 double 16-pane sashes with plain surrounds and then mullion, both lower windows having long moulded hoods on console brackets, with flanking console brackets to cornice and plaster swags above each window. Lead rainwater stackheads on either side. Interior not seen. In early C18 this house known as the "Ropers Tenement", but by 1799 it was the gentleman's residence of John Dampier, probably the same person who built Colinshayes (qv) in Brewham Parish in 1815. (Couzens P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey Press, Sherborne, 1972; VAG Report, unpublised SRO, 1975).

Listing NGR: ST6833434907

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 261549

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Couzens, P, Bruton in Selwood, (1972)
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in Vernacular Architecture Group Report, (1975)

End of official listing