Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056574.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2021 at 22:32:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 42921 24961


MUCHELNEY CP ST42SW - 8/225 The Priest's house 17.4.59


Priest's Lodging, C14 and later. Local lias stone roughly cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; thatched roof with stepped coped gable to west, half hipped to east; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys, 4-bay south elevation. Bay 1 has 3-light chamfered mullioned windows, possibly C19, with flat heads, and square labels; bay 2 has moulded pointed arched doorway with arched label, old boarded and studded door, with covermoulds to joints; bay 3 has a 4-light full-height mullioned and transomed solar type window, with 4-centre arched lights below transome and cinquefoil cusped lights above, with quatrefoils in tracery, late C15 probably, all under square label; bay 4 has a 4-light hollow chamfered mullioned window with 4-centre arched lights having some early external ferramenta, under square label; above a small 2-light window with trefoil cusped lights and incised spandrils, possibly C14, this last cut into thatch: all windows leaded, bay 1 with rectangular panes, the remainder with diamond panes. Internally, cross passage layout, with solid walls to cross-passage; west room has small plain fireplace with chamfered and cambered timber lintol with scroll stops, and this and ceiling beams suggest C17 reshaping at this end: four-centre arched moulded doorway with wood frame to east wall of passage; centre room has adapted wave-mould fireplace, and partition against parlour part stone and part wattle and daub, including a semi-circular headed stone doorway with plain chamfer; 4 sections of a 6-panel moulded beam and panel ceiling remain, the others removed for staircase; at first floor level another wattle and daub partition over cross-passage with later door cut in. Roof frame incorporates raised crucks, except at west end. The original form and subsequent alteration of house much discussed: the house first mentioned 1308, said to be "ruinous' in 1608; it was used by the vicar or curate until c1840, when the house was used as a cellar and later as a school, and in late C19 was rented by a farmer. Acquired by the National Trust in 1911. (VCH, vol III, 1974; Panten W A, Medieval Priest's Houses in south west England, Medieval Archaeology 1957; Wood M, The English Medieval House, 1965; VAG Reports, Unpublished SRO, 1972 and 1979).

Listing NGR: ST4291824962


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)
Wood, E , The English Medieval House, (1965)
'Medieval Archaeology' in Medieval Archaeology, (1957)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/15394/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Green. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].