CHARLTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1056766

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Statutory Address: CHARLTON HOUSE, ILCHESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHARLTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056766 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 02:42:52.

Location

Statutory Address: CHARLTON HOUSE, ILCHESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Charlton Mackrell

National Grid Reference: ST 52950 29075

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST52NW CHARLTON MACKRELL CP ILCHESTER ROAD (East side) 5/36 Charlton House 17.4.59

GV II*

Detached house. Dated 1726, with later extensions. Local lias stone cut and squared with painted Ham stone dressings; hipped mansard roof covered with Welsh slates, behind low parapets; stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys with attics; west elevation of 7 bays, the end bays being set back and slightly lower. Plinth, string courses, low parapet with heavily moulded coping, rusticated quoins: bays 2 to 6 have 8-pane sash windows in bolection mould surrounds, the upper windows having segmental arched heads and apron-panels below, and between bays 3 and 4 and 4 and 5 semi-circular arched niches in matching architraves; to lower bay 4 the entrance, with pair 4 panel doors in bolection mould architrave, with open porch having Doric columns and entablature: dormer windows in roof over bays 3, 4 and 5: bay 1 has a 16-pane sash window in plain opening above, and below a 3-light leaded mullioned and transomed window with 3 centre arched head; to bay 7 blind panels at both levels, with semi-circular arched niche with keystone and impost blocks below and segmental arched with apron-panel above. Modern extension to north gable; single-storey bay window on south gable, and later lean-to extension to rear (also linked is the Dovecote, qv). Interior has been modified, and part of the hall partition has been renewed, otherwise there remain the 6 fielded panel doors, and the staircase, which appears to be re-used from elsewhere (tradition says from Manor Farmhouse, qv). North west root has ceiling cornice and frieze, presumably C18, as does the south east room. Attics very little altered: orginally a double roof plan, the main structure still survives below the Mansard; some plank and muntin partitioning; the servants stairs giving access to this unaltered. The property, then known as Lanchers, bacame property of the Lyte family of Lytes Cary (qv) in 1540, and it was Thomas Lyte (died 1748) who built this house: the Lyte arts feature on the rainwater stackheads. John Jerritt, owner 1800-06, diverted the Kingweston Road further west, keeping the old road as the carriage drive.(Victoria County History, Volume III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST5295029075

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 262841

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

End of official listing