Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056769.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2021 at 04:37:25.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
West Camel
National Grid Reference:
ST 58025 24628



4/136 Church of All Saints



Church. Late C14 with earlier fragments. Local stone, random coursed, Ham stone dressings; mostly lead roofs, but plain clay tiles to chancel and stone slates to North transept; coped gables with finials; lead covered spirelet. Cruciform plan with 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with tower instead of a South transept. Chancel has slight plinth and angled corner buttresses; East window has reticulated tracery, the North and South windows are 2-light cusped lancets with Quatrefoil over, with arched hoods and relieving arches; small simple door and squint on South side. North transept has part buttresses to corners and centre of North wall; Eastern 3-light window in 4-centre arch with C15 tracery and in North wall very small 2-light window with C15 tracery very rural in character. Nave has bay buttresses of 3 different heights; a wide 2-centre arched 3-light window with C15 tracery set in a recess on the North side, a cusped lancet and Quatrefoil and a large 3-light window with wide pointed arch and C15 tracery on the South; the West window a simple 3-light window of C15 with head bosses in the pointed label, there being a simple segmental arched doorway under. The South porch of C19, projecting a plain segmental arched doorway into the church. Crenellated parapet to South side of nave; to North a low parapet with bases for pinnacle finials. Tower simple, bulging towards base, in 3 stages denoted by slit windows on the South side and a string course below bellchamber; corbel table to low parapet with gargoyles; lead sheathed spirelet with weathervane; bellchamber windows on all 4 sides with C13 tracery and wood baffles. Internally the chancel has a C19 arch and arched rib ceiling to collar trussed rafters, the East window set in a depressed trefoil rere-arch, flanked by 2 lancet niches and with stone apron panel - possibly parts of an early reredos; sedelia and 2 piscinae, one each side, of C13; long squint from North transept. North Transept arch of 2-orders has corbel shaft to bell capitals; timber ribbed and bossed segmental barrel vault ceiling. South transept arch of 2-orders with no capitals, the mouldings carried down the jambs. Nave roof a 5-bay medieval king-post truss with tracery infill panels, having heavily moulded beams and principal rafters and bold Tudor rose central bosses, elaborate wall plate and angel brackets at each mid-bay, all with modern gold leaf and colouring. Fittings include a curved pulpit front in C13 style, shown in different position in a pre-restoration sketch of the church; a circular lead-lined font, probably C12, with intersecting arch decoration, on modern base; and in the North transept two C14 bench ends; 2 chests, one possibly C15 and the other C17; and set into middle of floor fragment of a C9 Saxon cross-shaft with cable-roll interlaced decoration on 2 faces, discovered above nave East wall foundations in 1866. In tower 5 bells, the earliest of C15. Monuments include: pedimented plaque, Revd. M. Hill, died 1744; a brass tablet to Revd. J. Hinkesman, died 1746; plaque with draped urn, E. Aubrery, died 1786, by T. King of Bath; marble plaque with urn, Crowbrow family, died from 1796, by Fishers of York. Little known of early history; few certain dates, including addition of spirelet in 1631, rebuilding of chancel arch 1847, and some restoration for Revd. W.L. Metcalf by Ewan Christian in 1866; a church of much interest and variety, albeit sole being of rather rural character. (Pooley, Old Crosses of Somerset, 1877; SANHS proceedings, Volumes 36, 59 and 105).

Listing NGR: ST5802824625


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pooley, C, An Historical and Descriptive Account of the Old Stone Crosses of Somerset, (1877)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 36, ()
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 36, ()
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 36, ()


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11254/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.