MILESTONE AT NGR ST 4550 1055, ABOUT 140 METRES SOUTH-WEST OF EASTHAM'S GATE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056873
Date first listed:
18-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
MILESTONE AT NGR ST 4550 1055, ABOUT 140 METRES SOUTH-WEST OF EASTHAM'S GATE FARMHOUSE, YEOVIL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILESTONE AT NGR ST 4550 1055, ABOUT 140 METRES SOUTH-WEST OF EASTHAM'S GATE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056873 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 05:35:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
MILESTONE AT NGR ST 4550 1055, ABOUT 140 METRES SOUTH-WEST OF EASTHAM'S GATE FARMHOUSE, YEOVIL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Merriott
National Grid Reference:
ST 45503 10558

Details

ST41SE MERRIOTT CP YEOVIL ROAD (North side)

3/160 Milestone at NGR ST 4550 1055, about 140 metres south-west of Eastham's Gate Farmhouse

II

Milestone. Probably C18. Ham stone pillar, about 360mm wide x 180mm thick x 750mm high, with rounded top. Incised and painted lettering reads '--XXI/MLs From/LONDON/VIII/From Yeovil/I/To Crewkerne/XLIX/From Sarum'. Part of the 1675 (Ogilby) route from London to Exeter; the road was turnpiked by the Chard Trust in 1753, and transferred to Crewkerne Trust in 1825. Probably pre-Trust rather than post-1825, in its mention of Crewkerne, rather than Chard. (Bentley J.B and Murless B.J, Somerset Roads, SIAS, 1985).

Listing NGR: ST4550310558

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262410
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bentley, J B, Murless, B J , Somerset Roads: The Legacy of the Turnpikes Western Somerset, (1985)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14444/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].