This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE TOWN HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1057301

Location

THE TOWN HALL, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ilchester

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263450

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The Town Hall, Market Place. 10/68 8/68

------------------------------------

The Town Hall, Market Place. 10/68 8/68

------------------------------------ ST5222 ILCHESTER CP MARKET PLACE (South side) 10/68 The Town Hall l9.4.61

GV II Town Hall. 1812-1816, but incorporating parts of building of late C17 date; several C20 modifications. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; hipped Welsh slate roof behind parapets; brick chinmey stacks. Two storeys, 5 bays. Plinth, cornice band, plain parapet; to lower bays 1 and 2 chamfer mullioned windows in plain recesses, 3-light without labels; to all upper bays except bay 4, 16-pane sash windows with voussoired flat arches; to lower bay 3 a large chamfered semi-circular arch with small keystone, partly blocked and with pair plain boarded studded doors inserted; pair doors in deep recess to upper bay 4, approached by large stone and concrete staircase, added in 1920, blocking out lower bays 4 and 5. West wall rebuilt 1969 with 5+5 light mullioned windows under labels at both levels replacing a large C17 20-light mullioned and transomed window. Facing rear courtyard one oak framed and mullioned window with surviving sections of lead casing and small glass panes. Inside, vestiges of a court room still evident at west end, and the first floor assembly room of 1812 with simple decorative plaster vaulted ceiling. Ilchester was the county town of Somerset and the Shire Hall of C13 or earlier, stood here; the County Court survived here until 1843 and the County Gaol until 1846. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).



Listing NGR: ST5216922696

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

National Grid Reference: ST 52169 22696

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057301 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 11:23:58.

End of official listing