This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ELWORTHY FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ELWORTHY FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1057558

Location

ELWORTHY FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Elworthy

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 264763

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST03NE ELWORTHY CP

5/6 Elworthy Farmhouse

-

GV II

Farmhouse. Possibly medieval in origin, enlarged C16, enlarged again with alterations dated 1686, reroofed C19. Colour-washed random rubble to right, cob to left, 3 courses of brick work below eaves, slate roofs, brick stacks gable end left, to right of cross passage and on gable end of East wing. Evolution of the plan not clear - a suggestion would be open hall house (now 2 cell with cross passage) with 2 cell addition in cob at South West end with stone stair turret, later East wing added, also with stair projection, and open hall ceiled at date of plasterwork 1686. Front facing onto foldyard, 2 storeys, 4 bays, two 4-light ovolo moulded mullioned casements left, C20 2-light casement and C19 2-light leaded iron casement with quadrant stays right, groundfloor 2 C20 windows flanking entrance, early C19 leaded iron casement with quadrant stays to right and gauze covered opening to left of plank door. Entrance C20 plank door between first and second bays left, main entrance now on rear elevation through East wing. Interior: variety of chamfered beams with stops, indicating different building periods, particularly sophisticated in centre room to right of cross passage. Plank and muntin screen between end 2 rooms, 4 centred arch head doorway, C16 door decorative hinges, similar arched doorway to stair turret. Plasterwork overmantel in end bedroom right with symmetrical design of strawberry leaves, partially cut and obscured by C20 paint, initials MP 1686. Another projection at rear shows that exterior wall on first floor here is only lathe and studs. Changes in floor levels both on ground and first floors.

Listing NGR: ST0831835030

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 08318 35030

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057558 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 12:27:01.

End of official listing