CLEEVE ABBEY, REMAINS OF CISTERCIAN ABBEY OF ST MARY COVERING ABOUT 28 ACRES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1057579
Date first listed:
22-May-1969
Statutory Address:
CLEEVE ABBEY, REMAINS OF CISTERCIAN ABBEY OF ST MARY COVERING ABOUT 28 ACRES, ABBEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLEEVE ABBEY, REMAINS OF CISTERCIAN ABBEY OF ST MARY COVERING ABOUT 28 ACRES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057579 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 00:09:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CLEEVE ABBEY, REMAINS OF CISTERCIAN ABBEY OF ST MARY COVERING ABOUT 28 ACRES, ABBEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Old Cleeve
National Grid Reference:
ST0474440703

Details

ST04SW OLD CLEEVE CP ABBEY ROAD WASHFORD

1/56 Cleeve Abbey, remains of Cistercian Abbey of St Mary covering about 28 acres

22.5.69

GV I Remains of Cistercian abbey. Founded 1198, remodelled C15 and early C16, dissolved 1537 when church demolished, apart from South transept and South aisle wall, incorporated into farmhouse, altered early C17, farmbuildinqs to South West remodelled C18, excavated and restored 1875-6, placed in Department of the Environment guardianship 1951. Red sandstone coursed rubble, slate roofs. Plan: gatehouse, remains of walls to inner and outer courts, cloister - foundations of church and South aisle wall with collaction seat North side, East range dorter over chapterhouse, sacristy and library, common room in angle with South range, frater over individual cells with heraldic tiled pavement of earlier trater projecting from South West corner, latter farmbuildinqs now ticket office and administration projecting South East, West remains of cloister alley. Gatehouse: gabled, 2 storeys, one bay; C13, altered C14, upper storey rebuilt and buttresses added early C16. Chamfered pointed arch opening, stepped buttresses, large C20 raking buttress North front, 4-light mullioned window opening first floor. North face half relief Virgin and child, South crucifiction flanked by empty cusped headed niches; early C16 arch braced roof with 3 tiers of curved wind braces and moulded wall plate. Cloister: Dorter range, C13, altered C15; 2 storeys, 10 bays; lancets first floor, groundfloor openings include centre right entrance to chapter house, quadripartite vault in 2 bays, ribs springing from moulded corbels with short shafts; here and in the barrel vaulted sacristy to North, remains of C13 painted decoration are visible. Day stairs right to common room right and dorter left. Frater: C13, altered C15; 2 storeys, first floor left five 3-light mullioned and transomed windows with flattened cusped ogee heads, groundfloor right opening to stone stair, and other to individual study chamber. Interior: splendid 5 bay arch-braced roof, divided by subsidary arch bracing, richly moulded with half and three-quarter length crowned angels forming sole-pieces to the overhanging arch braces, carried on moulded brackets and stone corbels, originally intended to be completed on a wagon roof but left unfinished. To right of stairs chamber with extensive remains of C15 painted decoration and gallery with moulded rail. Cloister alley: late C13, altered C16; 6 bays remain unroofed. A small abbey by medieval standards, notable for the extensive survival of monastic buildings including the splendidly roofed frater, the rare survival of a monastic dormitory, dorter, C13 and C15 painted decorative and C13 heraldic tiled floor. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 31). (Photograph in NMR; Gilyard-Beer, Cleeve Abbey, 1960; VCH Somerset, vol 5 forthcoming; Country life January 6 and 13, 1923).

Listing NGR: ST0476740849

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
264814
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
Gilyard-Beer, R , Cleeve Abbey, (1960)
'Country Life' in 6 January, (1923)
'Country Life' in 13 January, (1923)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04570/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Eddy Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].