Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1057618

Date first listed: 04-Aug-1983

Statutory Address: OLD POLICE COTTAGES, 1, 2 AND 3, MAIN ROAD


Ordnance survey map of OLD POLICE COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057618 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2019 at 17:19:47.


Statutory Address: OLD POLICE COTTAGES, 1, 2 AND 3, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Dunster

National Grid Reference: SS 99364 44196



Old Police Cottages (Nos 1, 2 and 3) SS 9844-9944 3/63


2. Former Police Station set at angle to Minehead road. 1858 by John Norton. Symmetrical design in random rubble red sandstone, ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs, stone chimney stacks. Two storeys, E-shaped plan. Tudor Gothic detailing. Central two storey porch with steep hipped roof. End wings break forward, coped gables and stone finials. Square turrets with pyramidal roofs and metal finials in return angles. Two gabled dormers with copings, six 1, 2 and 3-light stone mullion and transom windows, hood-moulds, casements with glazing bars. Tudor arch heads to windows and spandrels. Plate tracery to first floor window over central porch. Flattened pointed arch doorways spandrels and rectangular hood-moulds. Central entrance with lancet relieving arch and hood mould. Inscription panel "Police Station AD 1858". A good and unaltered example of a police station of the period built for the County Constabulary (founded 1856). The later court room at the rear has been altered and is not included in this list.

Listing NGR: SS9936444196


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 264695

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing