47, 48, 49, 50 (ARCH COTTAGE), 51 (ORIEL COTTAGE), 53 AND 54,

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1058514

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: 47, 48, 49, 50 (ARCH COTTAGE), 51 (ORIEL COTTAGE), 53 AND 54,, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 47, 48, 49, 50 (ARCH COTTAGE), 51 (ORIEL COTTAGE), 53 AND 54,
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058514 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 12:43:40.

Location

Statutory Address: 47, 48, 49, 50 (ARCH COTTAGE), 51 (ORIEL COTTAGE), 53 AND 54,, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip (District Authority)

Parish: Doulting

National Grid Reference: ST 64725 43204

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DOULTING

1594/12/118 CHURCH LANE 25-FEB-88 (North side) 47, 48, 49, 50 (Arch Cottage), 51 (Ori el Cottage), 53 and 54, (Formerly listed as: CHURCH LANE 51 ORIEL COTTAGE) (Formerly listed as: CHURCH LANE 47, 48, 49, 50) (Formerly listed as: CHURCH LANE 53 AND 54)

GV II Row of seven former estate cottages. 1881 by G J Skipper for Sir Richard Paget of Cranmore Hall. They are of two storeys, built in a Tudor style. Of Doulting stone with freestone dressings, nos. 49-51 are of finer ashlar. Slate roofs with large axial stacks that have grouped polygonal shafts and moulded caps. It would appear that the row was built in several phases: Nos. 47-48 and 53-54 pre-date the central section (Nos. 49-51) which was erected in 1881. The outer cottages were probably re-fronted in a similar style at this time.

EXTERIOR: The fenestration consists of two-, three-, and four-light stone mullioned windows set below hood-moulds with label-stops. From west to east, the row can be described thus: Nos. 47-48 are each of three bays with a three-light mullioned window to either side of a central doorway, and each with four two-light windows to first floors. The central section (Nos. 49-51), of four bays, has an asymmetrical roadside elevation that projects forwards slightly. The third bay has angle buttresses and a front-facing gable; it has an oriel window with crenallated capping at first floor, and a throughway with four-centred arch opening below. The two end bays of the central section have gabled half-dormers with transom windows. A stone plaque in the left hand gable is carved with `1881'. The two cottages to the far right (Nos. 53-54) are each of two bays and differ from the other cottages in having four-centred arch-headed lights to each window, set below flat hood-moulds. In total there are five doorways, with plank doors, in the principal elevation; those for Nos. 50 and 51 are set within the throughway. The rear elevation is plainer in its architectural treatment. The windows consist mainly of two-light mullions with fairly simple surrounds, but some windows have been replaced or new ones inserted. C20 extensions have been built to the rear of Nos. 48, 51 and 53.

INTERIOR: There is thought generally to be a good survival of original features such as late C19 joinery and some good stone fireplaces. The plan form of the ground floor of each cottage is largely unaltered, although C20 rear extensions have been added to some of the cottages.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: To the rear of No. 49 is a single storey detached outbuilding. It is a plain, stone-built structure that is of lesser interest.

HISTORY: Nos. 47-54 Doulting forms part of a larger group of estate cottages built in Doulting in the late C19 for Sir Richard Paget. The architect was George John Skipper (1856-1948) of Norwich, and his illustration of the cottages was published in the periodical The Builder in 1889.

SOURCES: The Builder (24th August 1889) REASON FOR DESIGNATION DECISION: Nos. 47, 48, 49, 50 (Arch Cottage), 51 (Oriel Cottage), 53 and 54,is of special interest for the following principal reasons: * Its overall high level of architectural quality, particularly visible in its key external features. * The terrace possesses good group value as it forms part of a wider group of estate cottages of similar date, style and quality. * It contributes to the planned ensemble of which it forms a part.



Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 268327

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 24 August, (1889)

End of official listing