COURT FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1058584

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: COURT FARMHOUSE, VICARAGE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COURT FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058584 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 08:44:03.

Location

Statutory Address: COURT FARMHOUSE, VICARAGE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip (District Authority)

Parish: Wookey

National Grid Reference: ST 51804 45714

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST54NW WOOKEY CP VICARAGE LANE (West side)

21/173 Court Farmhouse 22.11.66 II*

Episcopal manor house, now farmhouse. Fragmentary C13 remains, C16 and C17 work, much altered C18 and again C19. Roughcast, triple Roman tile roof with a crested ridge, coped verges, 3 brick stacks, 2 on ashlar and rubble bases, one with exposed chimney breast. Much altered L-plan with a cross passage. Two storeys, main wing of 3 bays, C19 3-light casements on first floor, two 3-light hollow-chamfered stone mullioned windows on ground floor, each light with a 2-centred head, incised spandrels, that to right with iron stanchion and saddle bars, that to left with a casement to each light, some early glass remaining. Central door opening, 6-panelled door, fanlight with radiating glazing bars, ashlar porch, semi-circular head outer door opening, key, cornice. Remains of a buttress to left of frontage. Narrow projecting wing to right, 3 storeys, one window to each floor of inner face, 3-light moulded stone mullioned window on first floor, iron casements with leaded lights, label; similar windows on ground floor except with mullions cut away and a 3-light casement inserted; small leaded window on second floor. Two stage buttress to right. Blocked 4-centred arch door opening to rear and the remains of a stair turret obscured by C19 lean-to. Salient interior feature the 2-centred archway to a former chapel, c1230, moulded head of 3 rolls, remains of one capital; further remains of similar plainer doorway; moulded C16 ceiling beams; some C18 fittings. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, April 1983; Wood, C13 Domestic Architecture in England; Supplements Archaeological Journal, CV, 1950).

Listing NGR: ST5180445714

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 268186

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in April, (1983)
Wood, M E, 'Archaeological Journal Supplement' in Thirteenth Century Domestic Architecture in England, , Vol. 105, (1950)

End of official listing