CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1058677

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058677 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 14:20:35.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip (District Authority)

Parish: Holcombe

National Grid Reference: ST 66880 50734

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOLCOMBE CP ST65SE - 5/123 Church of St. Andrew 2.6.61 GV II*

Anglican Church. Late Saxon-early Norman establishment, rebuilt C16, C18 internal fittings; some C19 restoration. Random and coursed rubble, some ashlar, some stucco, slate roofs with moulded freestone ridges. Perpendicular with Norman work and neo Norman mannerisms. Nave, south porch, chancel, west tower. Slender 2-stage tower with an ashlar parapet, corner pinnacles, squat stair turret on lower stage to north; small 2- light bell-chamber openings with ashlar grilles, small 2-light west window. Two-bay nave, square head 2-light windows, iron saddle-bars and stanchions, buttresses to East. Gabled porch with a re-used Norman doorway/chancel arch, semi-circular head with chevron moulding, 2 different scallop capitals on three quarter spiral-ornamented shafts. Forming part of one capital is a stone with an inverted incised inscription, postulated of Saxon origin; set over the arch a C16 figure of an angel. Further chevron ornament of C16 on gable face, apex with a base for a finial; kneelers in neo-Norman style. Short chancel with small square headed 2-light east window, leaded lights, label with decayed heads as stops, east buttresses. Interior of porch plastered, benched, flagstone floor floor. Ribbed and studded inner door, probably C16. Plastered interior on flagstone floors; plastered wagon roof to nave; C19 chancel roof. Jacobean pulpit; C18 box pews; C18 western gallery and coat pegs. Royal arms dated 1726. C19 choir stalls, altar rails and altar table. Decalogue plaques dated 1817. Nine C18/C19 wall monuments by local firms. Two early bells. A lonely site surrounded by the remains of a deserted medieval village, coach house at rear or The Old Rectory the only other early surviving building (qv). Members of the Scott family, including explorer's mother buried in the churchyard. (Reid R.D., Some Buildings of Mendip, 1979).

Listing NGR: ST6688050734

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 267901

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Reid, R D, Some Buildings of Mendip, (1979)

End of official listing