AMMERDOWN HOUSE AND STABLES NOW KNOWN AS AMMERDOWN STUDY CENTRE AMMERDOWN STUDY CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1058685
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
AMMERDOWN HOUSE AND STABLES NOW KNOWN AS AMMERDOWN STUDY CENTRE
Statutory Address:
AMMERDOWN STUDY CENTRE

Map

Ordnance survey map of AMMERDOWN HOUSE AND STABLES NOW KNOWN AS AMMERDOWN STUDY CENTRE
AMMERDOWN STUDY CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058685 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:16:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
AMMERDOWN HOUSE AND STABLES NOW KNOWN AS AMMERDOWN STUDY CENTRE
Statutory Address:
AMMERDOWN STUDY CENTRE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Kilmersdon
National Grid Reference:
ST 71115 52663

Details

KILMERSDON CP ST75SW AMMERDOWN PARK 6/133 Ammerdown House and stables now known as Ammerdown Study Centre 11.3.68 GV I

Country house and stables with adjacent formal gardens in emparked landscape; stables converted to study centre. 1788 by James Wyatt for Thomas Samuel Jolliffe; enlarged in conforming style 1857 by Manners and Gill and 1877; further alteration to west front of 1901, possibly by Sir Edwin Lutyens; stables much altered with considerable non-conforming additions after 1971. Bath stone ashlar. Rectangular on plan with service wing and stables to north. Classical style in the Wyatt idiom. South front probably the least altered, 3 storeys, windows of decreasing size, 1:5:1 bays, those to each side projecting slightly with blind apertures; high rusticated ground floor with Venetian windows in large semi-circular headed arches; first floor band; upper windows in moulded stone architraves, on first floor with cornices, dividing plain pilasters and pilasters at the angels; entablature, cornice and parapet with coping; all window openings with sashes with glazing bars. Entrance front to west in conforming style; 3 bays, paired pilasters; single-storeyed porch to north-west corner, an addition of 1877, contemporary the smoking room to north attached to entrance to former stable yard by 2-storeyed service wing, 3-storeyed tower; entrance to stable yard through semi-circular head archway, triangular pediment over with arms in relief to tympanum, paired wood and wrought- iron gates. Range of former stables at rear. Interior of house with many fine features. (Country Life, Feb 16, and March 2, 1929).

Listing NGR: ST7111552663

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267916
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 2 March, (1929)
'Country Life' in 16 February, (1929)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/09820/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Neil Bentham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].