CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1058750
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST MARY'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058750 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:36:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST MARY'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Meare
National Grid Reference:
ST 45538 41707

Details

MEARE CP ST. MARY'S ROAD (North side) ST44SE

3/51 Church of St. Mary

22.11.66

GV I

Anglican Parish Church. Formerly in keeping of Glastonbury Abbey; dedicated 1323 for Abbot Adam of Sodbury; nave with aisles C15 for Abbot Selwood (1456-93), completed c1494 for Abbot Beere; cast-iron rainwater head dated:- "1896" marking a restoration. Coursed and squared rubble, some ashlar, freestone dressings, stucco to chancel, lead sheeting and slate roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave with clerestory, North and South aisles, South porch, chancel with North vestry, West tower. Decorated and Perpendicular. Two stage unbuttressed and embattled tower; pyramidal roof; simple 2-light bell-chamber windows, octagonal stair turret, gargoyles, 3-light perpendicular west window, West door. Three bay nave and aisles, buttresses; each with a plain ashlar parapet, originally the aisles surmounted by an interlace of pointed quatrefoils in lozenges, that to South side of south aisle completely missing; and that to North side of North aisle and West end partly missing; East end of South aisle incorporating arms of Abbot Selwood, gargoyles. Aisles with 3-light windows; 3-light windows to clerestory, iron stanchion and saddle bars. Porch with chamfered outer door opening, 4-centred arch head, plank door with elaborate hinges, the scrolls issuing from a "cuff", ascribed to C14; above a sundial. Two bay chancel, 2-light Decorated windows, renewed tracery; further Perpendicular 3-light window; unusual 3-light East window: 3 lancet lights of which the middle is lower, a spheric quadrangle cusped into 3 trefoils set above; carved heads as label stops; buttresses; priests door. Vestry with a 2-light lancet, Y-tracery. Plastered interior on flag floors; nave with arcades with slender piers of 4-hollows moulding; tower arch with bold C14 moulding; chancel arch Perpendicular with angels as capitals; squint. Elaborate panelled roof to nave with bosses, corbels carved as angels, that to South-east with arms of Abbot Beere; C19 wagon roofs to aisles, again on angelic corbels, one in South aisle with masons name:- "John Jackman"; chancel with elaborate queen-post roof, arch-bracing up to collar beam, 3 tiers of cusped windbraces; Octagonal Decorated font with a series of bold mouldings; fine Perpendicular stone pulpit. Perpendicular alms box on pedestal; piscina; chest dated 1705; 2 Jacobean coffin stools; C19 pews and choir stalls; fine brass lectern of 1916; brass branch dated 1777. C17 and C18 tablets to chancel floor, 2 further C19 wall monuments. C19 stained glass to South aisle and West window; East window of The Crucifixion post 1855; 2 further windows to chancel post 1871 by C.A. Cibbs; further traces of medieval glass to the South aisle windows. Royal arms of 1840 under tower, also a painting of Christ. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4553841706

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267766
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06752/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter L. May. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].