HALSWELL HOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS AT REAR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1058950
Date first listed:
28-Jul-1950
Statutory Address:
HALSWELL HOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS AT REAR

Map

Ordnance survey map of HALSWELL HOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS AT REAR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058950 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jul-2019 at 19:26:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
HALSWELL HOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS AT REAR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Goathurst
National Grid Reference:
ST 25397 33795

Details

ST23SE GOATHURST CP HALSWELL PARK

7/38 Halswell House and attached outbuildings at rear 28.7.50

GV I

Country house in emparked landscape; now flats. South range C16 for Sir Nicholas Halswell; main north range 1689 for Sir Halswell Tynte, earlier house retained as service quarters; north range partly destroyed by fire c1922 when fabric restored and interior refurbished; converted to flats with internal division, particularly south, c1950. North range: Ham Hill ashlar, flat bitumenised roof; stucco on returns; south range: random rubble, some colourwashed, slate roofs, brick and rubble stacks. Baroque north front on imposing scale; 3 storeys, 2:3:2 bays, the outer in shallow wings; rusticated quoins, ramped plinth band, first floor band, first floor sill band, second floor band and band over heads of second floor windows; cornice, baluster parapet. Sash windows with glazing bars; on second floor with square heads in architraves; windows to centre paired, a C18 alteration. Windows to the wings with segmental heads and architraves, outer windows of centre bays with semi-circular heads, elaborate architraves; to first floor, foliate panels over. Centre window of centre 3 stepped forward and emphasised with raising crescendo of ornament eared architrave, flanked by 3 sets of pilasters, inner with carved foliage, centre with scrolled volutes supporting open triangular pediment; moulded keystone supports large painted cartouche, swag each side. Paired three-quarter glazed doors in semi-circular headed recess, fanlight, radiating glazing bars; trophies flanking rusticated pilasters stepped back in 3 stages, to centre represented by quarter column, supports deep cornice which forms narrow balcony, formerly iron rails, now missing. Returns in similar style; left of 5 bays, ground floor rusticated, sash windows with glazing bars, on first floor moulded architraves with cornices, centre window with triangular pediment, baluster panel below. To right of 3 bays, sash windows with glazing bars, centre first floor with semi-circular head in square head architrave, dentil cornice, baluster panel set below; C18 single-storey bays on ground floor with cornices, between them semi-circular head door opening in rusticated surround, half-glazed door. Contiguous range to south, irregular plan; 2 storeys and attic; stone-mullionPd windows with stopped labels, many renewed, leaded lights, relieving arches. Flat-pointed and 4-centred arch stone door frames. Right return of north front with attached wall to obscure service quarters, emphasised door opening and 2 niches. Interior of service wing with remains of domestic fittings including range of cupboards on ground floor. North range with elaborate plaster and woodwork, much in replica after fire; large open-well staircase, twisted balusters, ramped handrail, panelled newel posts; stairwell with ornamental plaster ceiling, Baroque with wreathing, cartouches, cherubs, corner pilasters; ground floor dining room ceiling, with ribs, garlands, intertwined branches, dentil cornice, in style of fig; first floor room to east with further Baroque ceiling, ornamented with centre wreath with enframing panels, also chinoiserie wallpaper. Centre rooms to ground and first floor more restrained, on ground floor fielded panelling; 3 fine C18 chimney pieces, room on right of ground floor with chimney piece removed, C16 plaster overmantel reset above a doorway between house and service wing. Further lesser features. Country Life, November 21 1908; Collinson, Somerset I, 1791; VCH Somerset 11, 1911).

Listing NGR: ST2539733795

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
269300
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Collinson, J, History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, (1791)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1911)
'Country Life' in 21 November, (1908)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15602/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].