CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1059262

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059262 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 05:54:06.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Moulsford

National Grid Reference: SU 59158 84138

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MOULSFORD THE STREET SU58SE (East side) 5/123 Church of St. John the Baptist 20/06/72 (Formerly listed as St. John the Baptist's Church) - II Church. c.1846 on old foundations. By Sir George Gilbert Scott. Flint and stone base with stone dressings; flint and stone with stone dressings; old plain-tile roof; wood bell tower with splay-footed shingled roof to left. Early English style. 3-bay nave, north aisle, and chancel ,with west tower. Central open timber framed porch to 2-centred arched doorway with hood mould. Plank door with wrought iron hinges. Paired lancet to left. Paired trefoil-tapped lancet to right of centre. Trefoil-topped lancet to right. 3-light east window with Reticulated tracery. Single lancet to centre of north aisle. Paired lancet to left and right. Paired lancet to right return of aisle. Paired trefoil-topped lancet to right of nave. Single lancet to east end. Interior: arch-braced roof to nave; barrel-vault roof to chancel. C19 stained glass to chancel. Piscina to right of chancel. Richly carved pulpit, lecturn and choir stalls. Wooden arcaded communion rail. 3 segmental pointed arches to north aisle, corbelled to aisle side. Octagonal C19 font with carved quatrefoil to each side. Good series of wall monuuments of c.1694 to east end. (V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.507; Buildings Buildings of England: Berkshire, p. 179; David Cole, The Work of Sir Gilbert Scott, 1980, p.39).

Listing NGR: SU5915884138

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 248007

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cole, D, The Work of Sir Gilbert Scott, (1980), 39
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 507
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 179

End of official listing