FIFIELD MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1059361

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Statutory Address: FIFIELD MANOR, BROOK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FIFIELD MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059361 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 01:26:20.

Location

Statutory Address: FIFIELD MANOR, BROOK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Benson

National Grid Reference: SU 63081 92152

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BENSON BROOK STREET SU69SW (south side) Fifield Fifield Manor 2/22 18/07/63

GV II*

Shown on O.S. map as Fifield House. House. C12, early C18 alterations, with early C19 third floor, stucco front, and alterations. Stucco, probably on limestone; roof not visible; rendered stacks. 3 storey, 8-window range. 2:4:2. Tetrastyle Doric portico to ground floor centre. C19 five-panelled door to centre with flanking single-light windows. 12-pane sashes to ground and first floors. 9-pane sashes to second floor. All windows have architrave surround and first floor central 4 windows have bracketted cornices. Flat band between ground and first floor and between first and second floor. Cornice to eaves with brackets to central 4 bays. Right return has C13 window of Geometrical tracery of 2 lights. Left return has some C12 windows exposed. Interior: Early C18 panelling to entrance hall and study (ground floor right). Early C19 open well staircase to hall with cast iron balustrade. History: C12 house, owned by Bishop of Lincoln, held by Philip de Hogville (Sheriff of Surrey 1281). In ownership of Sir Edmund Rede of Burstall (left in his will dated 21st February 1488/9 to his grandson) but passed to Leonard Rede of Burstall. Passed by marriage to Dinhan family. Passed to Stampe family in late C16. In early C19 third floor added with consequent removal of original roof, and front took present form. (Victoria County History: Oxfordshire, Vol.7, p.3; Oxfordshire Record Society, 1958, p.45; Berks, Bucks and Oxon Archaeological Journal IX (1903); Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.451).

Listing NGR: SU6308192152

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 247730

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 451
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962), 3
'Berkshire Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire Archaeological Journal' in Berkshire Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 9, (1903)
Other
(1958)

End of official listing