CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1059730
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059730 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jul-2019 at 19:59:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Pyrton
National Grid Reference:
SU 68740 95693

Details

PYRTON CHURCH LANE SU6895 (West side) 13/134 Church of St. Mary 18/07/63

GV II*

Church. Early C12, C15 porch; rebuilt in 1856 by J.C. Buckler. Knapped and coursed flint, limestone ashlar dressings; gabled old tile roof. Chancel with vestry and nave with porch and west bellcote. 3-light geometrical-style east window: chancel side walls each have early C12 roll-moulded lancet: north vestry has mid C19 round-arched windows. 3-bay nave with 2-light curvilinear-style windows, and south porch with pointed moulded doorway and C15 three-light trefoil-headed windows. Early C12 south doorway has hood of grapes, leaves and fruit over zig-zag arch: jamb shafts with scalloped capitals and quatrefoil imposts: mid C19 plank door. 2-light curvilinear-style west window flanked by tall buttresses: bellcote has trefoil-headed lancet over 2 cinquefoil-headed bell openings. Interior: chancel has brass of Thomas Symeon and wife, d.1522, floor slab with figure of priest, c.1340, and alabaster floor tablet to Susanna Ackworth, d.1585. Vestry has wall monument to Thomas Barnard, d.1582. Early C12 chancel arch has hood with flat reeded leaves over moulded arch on imposts decorated with star-in-square pattern; jamb shafts carved with basket weave (south) and interlace (north) have cable necks. Nave has top half of Jacobean pulpit set on C19 platform. C12 font with mid C19 cover, and mid C19 pews, lectern and arch-braced roof: brass tablet by Eric Gill in memory of Alfred St. George Hammersley, d.1929. South porch has some medieval floor tiles, floor tablet to Thomas Pyrton d.1701, early C19 wall tablets (Wiggins family) and C15 arch-braced collar trusses. Stained glass: fine east window, south-east nave window by Clayton and Bell, 1893. The Church was given to Runcorn Priory, Cheshire in 1115: the fine Norman features probably date from this time. Buckler sought to preserve them in his Gothic restoration of 1856. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.732-733; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, p.172-4; National Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: SU6874095693

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
248980
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 732-733
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1964), 172-4

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07325/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Dale Venn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].