CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1060144
Date first listed:
29-Mar-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060144 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 08:30:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Woolavington
National Grid Reference:
ST 34791 41648

Details

WOOLAVINGTON CP CHURCH STREET (North side) ST34SW 5/70 Church of St Mary 29.3.63

GV I

Anglican parish church. C11, C13, C14, C15; extensively restored 1880. Coursed and squared rubble, coped verges, slate roofs except double-Roman tiles to vestry. Nave, chancel, south porch, north chapel, north vestry, west tower. Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular. Three stage embattled tower, angle buttresses with offsets to lower stage, 2-light bell-chamber windows, stair-turret with embattled octagonal upper stage, clock; the embattled parapet with corner pinnacles is probably C17; 2-light window on south side of tower. Three bay nave, 2-light square headed windows and large 3-light window to south with gablet, vestigial remains of a blocked Norman doorway on north side. Gabled porch, simple inner and outer door openings, C15 ribbed and studded door with ornamental strap hinges. North chapel to Gilbert de Woolavington, C13 with grouped lancets. Similar the ground lancets to south side of the chancel, 2-light square-head window to north, C17 3-light east window in Perpendicular style, priests door. Interior scraped, floor not seen (fitted carpet at time of survey September 1985); C19 wagon roofs, that to nave and chapel plastered; porch with C14 wagon roof. Tower supported on 4 intersecting triple-chamfered arches, early C14, these were intended to create a crossing which was never executed. Plain C13 archway to north chapel; C14 chancel arch. Lower entrance to rood; sedilia; piscina to chapel; aumbry to chancel; hagioscope. Octagonal C15 font with quatrefoils. Wooden pulpit composed of C16 and C17 work, richly carved. In the chancel a detached stone head, C15, all that now remains of a former effigy. Stone with incised initials inset to north wall of nave, probably to Sir John Hody, Chief Justice of England, obit 1441. Two Jacobean chairs, 2 coffin stools. Three C18-early C19 wall monuments. C19 pews and organ. Late C19 stained glass window to south of nave. Five early bells. (Church Guide; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST3478541647

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
269512
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Mary Church Guide
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03022/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Michael Bass. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].