PATCOMBE FARMHOUSE INCLUDING CHIMNEY STACK ADJOINING SOUTH EAST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1060152

Date first listed: 27-Jul-1989

Statutory Address: PATCOMBE FARMHOUSE INCLUDING CHIMNEY STACK ADJOINING SOUTH EAST

Map

Ordnance survey map of PATCOMBE FARMHOUSE INCLUDING CHIMNEY STACK ADJOINING SOUTH EAST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060152 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 13:57:21.

Location

Statutory Address: PATCOMBE FARMHOUSE INCLUDING CHIMNEY STACK ADJOINING SOUTH EAST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor (District Authority)

Parish: Broomfield

National Grid Reference: ST 24799 33368

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following buildings shall be added to the list

ST 23 SW BROOMFIELD

6/171 Patcombe Farmhouse including chimney stack GV adjoining south east

II*

Bailiffs house in landscaped park. Probably 1771 by John Johnson for Sir Charles Kemeys Tynte of Halswell House, Goathurst(qv) Red brick in Flemish bond. Pantile hipped roof.

Plan: Symmetrical 2-room rectangular plan classical style building with a central stack at the front of which is an integral colonaded portico giving individual access to each room. The 2 rooms also have doorways at the back giving into a lobby with a back door and a staircase behind the central stack.

Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay north front with a brick modillion eaves cornice and string with 2 brick console brackets either side of a small central pedimented gable with a circular window. Central stone portico in form of a bowed Roman Doric colonade flanked by windows in large round headed recess with a stringcourse at impost level. The stringcourse continues on the right hand return at impost level of the 3-bay blind arcade which has a rectangular panel above each arch and a window in the centre. The modillion eaves cornice continues around the west side and at the rear (South) but the east side facing the bank is plain. There is a length of brick retaining wall adjoining at the back built into which is a stack with 3 flues and a large symmetrical arch fireplace (outside the house).

Interior: Farm animals have had access to the interior, the doors and chimneypieces are missing, the balustrade to the winder staircase has gone but the door frames and some of the panelled window shutters remain as well as the wall plaster.

Historical note: Patcombe Farmhouse was built as the bailiffs house, was part of Sir Charles Kemeys Tynte's landscaping of Halswell and might have been the "Temple of Pan in the Gardens of Sir Charles Kemeys ... at Halswell" exhibited by John Johnson at the Society of Artists in 1778.

Source: Gervase Jackson-Stops, Country Life, 9th February 1989.

Listing NGR: ST2479933368

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 269430

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 9 February, (1989)

End of official listing