CHIPLEY PARK AND WALL ABUTTING SOUTH EAST CORNER WITH GATEPIER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1060314

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1956

Statutory Address: CHIPLEY PARK AND WALL ABUTTING SOUTH EAST CORNER WITH GATEPIER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHIPLEY PARK AND WALL ABUTTING SOUTH EAST CORNER WITH GATEPIER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060314 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 19:28:09.

Location

Statutory Address: CHIPLEY PARK AND WALL ABUTTING SOUTH EAST CORNER WITH GATEPIER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Nynehead

National Grid Reference: ST 11685 23754

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NYNEHEAD CP ST12SW CHIPLEY PARK 4/61 Chipley Park and wall abutting south-east corner with gatepier 25.1.56 GV II Stables of Chipley Park, (original house demolished), now dwelling. Late C17-early C18, converted to dwelling C20. Red brick, Flemish bond, red sandstone random rubble plinth, moulded ashlar dado, flat brick continuous string course, hipped slate roofs, coped verges to gables, brick stacks in end 2 bays left, and rising from eaves right. Plan: stable range facing south, originally entered on north front, rebuilt and extended C20 with detached carriageway east end linked by C20 brick gallery, wall with gatepiers at south-east corner. One and a half storeys, 2 gabled bays left,5-bay centre, gabled end bay right, first floor corridor linking one bay beyond gabled dormers centre, early C18 leaded in second gable end left, loft door with C20 window centre end bay left, three C20 casements flanking central inserted doorway with keystone and half glazed C20 door; end bay right partly rebuilt, blocked gable end opening, window opening left, extensively rebuilt in C20 at rear. Interior not seen. Red brick, Flemish bond wall with clay tile coping about 20m in length swept down to square gatepier, moulded brick cap plinth and bell finial,semi-circular headed doorway to walled garden, hood mould additions with imported face terminal of king and queen. The original house abutted to the south-west with the walled garden (qv) behind. The 1840 tithe map shows that the east front was enclosed by walls with gatepiers of which the above remains. The house was probably built by Edward Clarke, a friend of the philosopher John Locke, at it descended by marriage to the Sandfords of Nynehead Court (qv). The house was apparently demolished in the late C19. It does not appear in Escott's photograph of the present house c1910.(Escott, Somerset: Historical, Descriptive, 1910)

Listing NGR: ST1168523754

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 271003

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Escott, T, Somerset Historical and Descriptive, (1910)

End of official listing