Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1060602

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1060602 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 05:12:20.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Halse

National Grid Reference: ST 13994 27740


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/150 Church of St James



Parish Church. Some C12 and C13 work, mainly C15, North aisle circa 1546 restored 1900. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings, moulded plinth, C19 tiled roofs. Four bay nave, three bay North aisle, South porch, West tower. Two stage tower, crenellated parapet, diagonal buttresses, damaged on South-west corner, 3-light window West end and 2-light Decorated bell-openings. Four light Perpendicular window in chancel and East and West ends of North aisle. North front three 3-light mullioned windows with Tudor heads under hood moulds, 2-light cinquefoil mullions flanking South porch. Rood loft stair tower on North front. Gabled tiled roof porch, late C15, with 3-light Perpendicular windows perhaps reused. Interior: rendered. Arcade of Perpendicular piers set on roughly hewn plinths with primitive Decorated capitals. Norman arch South door, C13 chancel arch and single chamfer tower arch. Wagon roofs, plastered except in nave. East window contains mid C16 painted Flemish glass incorporated late C19. Chancel painted decoration, 1900, partly obliterated. Fine wooden screen circa 1500, restored 1900 by Harry Hems of Exeter. Norman font. Pews carved by villagers in the local wood working class, 1900. Two rondels set in spandrels of North aisle nave wall, right-hand one has face with foliage sprouting from it, thought to be circa 1300. On West wall, pair of late C16 Italian oil paintings, cut from larger work, artist unknown. Until 1867, or later, the exterior was plastered and whitewashed. (SANHS Proceedings, vol 54, 1908; photographs in NMR, vol 5 forthcoming).

Listing NGR: ST1399627741


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 270361

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 54, (1908)

End of official listing