CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1061070

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061070 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 16:22:19.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Shepway (District Authority)

Parish: Stowting

National Grid Reference: TR 12476 41845

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 14 SW STOWTING

1/103 Church of St Mary 29.12.66 GV II*

Parish church. C13. Chancel restored 1843-4 by Carpenter, rest 1876 and 1890. North aisle and tower added 1857-68 by Slater. Flint, with stone dressings. Plain tile roof. Nave, south porch, chancel with north lean-to, north aisle with west tower. Nave: C13. No plinth. Small lancet window to west gable end, above eaves level, with two C19 lancets below. Blocked pointed-arched hollow-chamfered west doorway with broach stops. 3 windows to south; one C19 two-light window, one restored C15 window with three cinquefoil-headed lights and squared hoodmould, and one restored trefoiled lancet. Porch: C14 or C15, largely rebuilt in C19. Timber framed, with rendered infilling, on C19 flint plinth. C19 bargeboards. C19 pointed- arched outer and inner doorways. Medieval moulded octagonal crown-post, moulded tie-beam and wall post. Chancel: C13, with C19 plinth. North-east and south-east angle buttresses. 2 restored south, and one north, lancets. 3-light C19 east window in a C14 style. C19 lean-to to west. North Aisle: C19. Lean-to. No plinth. Three paired trefoil-headed lancets. Tower: C19. Two stages on flint plinth. Diagonal buttresses. Lancet windows. West doorway. Stone and flint chimney stack in re-entrant angle with nave. Interior: structure: restored 3-bay nave arcade in a C14 style, with doubly-chamfered pointed arches and moulded octagonal columns. Moulded pointed-arched C19 chancel arch. Fittings: late C17 or early C18 altar rails with twisted balusters and enriched and moulded rail. Stained glass: early C14 Virgin and Child to north-east window of aisle, in vivid green, gold and red. Complete design of c. 1460 to C15 south window of nave, depicting three saints and three groups of kneeling donors. Monuments: draped cartouche to north wall of chancel, with shields above and below, to Thomas Jenkin, d. 1698. (J. Newman, B.O.E. Series, North-East and East Kent, 1983).

Listing NGR: TR1201742608

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 175681

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983)

End of official listing