This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PRIORY OF THE MOST HOLY TRINITY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PRIORY OF THE MOST HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1061346

Location

PRIORY OF THE MOST HOLY TRINITY, PRIORY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bracknell Forest

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Winkfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Feb-2002

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 489486

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WINKFIELD

SU96NW PRIORY ROAD, Chavey Down 674-1/16/273 (East side) 20/12/72 Priory of the Most Holy Trinity

II

Formerly known as: Priory of the Most Holy Trinity (also known as Ascot Priory). Priory and convalescent hospital, now Priory and private nursing home. Large group of C19 buildings by 5 architects. MATERIALS: stone with plain tiled roofs. Front, entrance part was begun in 1861 by Charles Buckeridge and later continued by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Early English transitional style. Snecked, random rubble with ashlar dressings. Single storey with coped gable on left end. 5 chimney shafts on rectangular stack at right end. 9-bays of pointed windows with plate tracery. Single gabled dormer breaking eaves at left and 2 similar at right. Rectangular chimney stack with turret, projecting between 6th and 8th bays. Single storey porch at left and single storey 3-bay addition with 2 gables to left of this. South wing and tower in angle, 1901 by Leonard Stokes. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. 2 storeys with attics and basement. Steeply pitched roof with hip on right end. 3 pairs of stone chimneys, one at either side of ridge, with angle pilasters and cornice heads. West front irregular with 2 broad, flat buttresses on right. Leaded casement windows of 2:3:5 and 6-lights. 2-bays on right project, and roof is carried down with wide dormer at first floor level. 4 hipped gabled dormers, one double. On eastern front of this wing stonework banded with ashlar to blend with that of chapel. Clock tower in re-entrant angle has open lantern with sloping sides, surmounted by weathervane. Chapel 1877, is by William Butterfield, and stretches eastwards. Snecked random rubble with ashlar dressings, coped, gabled roof. Nave, north and south aisles, transepts and chancel. Plinth, string at base and head of buttresses, round headed windows to nave and chancel, circular windows with quatrefoils, light clerestorey. INTERIOR: red and white stone. 2-bay nave and 4-bay chancel of same height, chancel without aisles and in the Early English style as are transepts. Nave in Norman style. Stained glass: side windows by Gibbs, the east windows by Comper. iv) The Lady Chapel 1935, by Mitchel and Bridgewater, adjoins chapel on eastern end with 2 storey link, and 5-light oriel window at first floor with trefoiled heads. Ashlar with gabled roof. 5-bays of pointed windows at upper level and square ground floor windows. Buttress between 1st and 2nd and the 4th and 5th bays. Interior plain. HISTORY: The Priory is of the Society of the Holy Trinity, founded by Priscilla Lydia Sellon, a friend of Pusey's. The Society started at Devonport in 1848 and built St Dunstan's Abbey, Plymouth, in 1850. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Berkshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-).

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 90108 69424

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061346 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 07:15:25.

End of official listing