CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1061386

Date first listed: 30-May-2002

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061386 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 06:11:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 42672 17442

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



52/0/10010 MAIN STREET 30-MAY-02 Thringstone (East side) Church of St Andrew

II



Church. 1862. By James Piers St.Aubyn. Leicestershire granite rubble with sandstone dressings and plain tile roof. Early English style with buttresses with set-offs. Nave and chancel in one with east end apse, apse to north-east vestry, transepts and south-west porch. East apse has 3 lancets, and the vestry apse a single lancet. North vestry door. Transept windows are triple lancets with simple rose above. Lancets to nave sides. West end has 2 lancets with rose window in gable. Porch (of 1911) has moulded doorway with hood mould and coped gable with finial. Small bellcote on nave roof. INTERIOR. East lancets have stained glass of 1881 by FA Oldaker of Epsom. Choir stalls. 3 further stained glass windows in the nave of 1917 and 1920 by Kempe and Co. Roof of scissor trusses supported on braces rising from stone corbels and 2 tiers of purlins with windbraces. Set of benches in nave and simple drum font at west end. HISTORY. The church was built to serve Thringstone in the parish of Whitwick through the zeal of Rev. Francis Merewether, partly to counteract what he perceived as a Roman Catholic revival in the parish begun by the foundation of Mount St Bernard's Abbey (qv), designed by Pugin. St.Andrew's, a well-designed though much smaller building, is in an equally austere style, and also carefully utilises the local granite.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 489626

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing