This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

COALPORT BRIDGE TOLL HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COALPORT BRIDGE TOLL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1061397

Location

COALPORT BRIDGE TOLL HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Telford and Wrekin

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: The Gorge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jul-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 489636

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE GORGE

1126/0/10053 Coalport Bridge Toll House 24-JUL-02

GV II

Originated as warehouse 1793-1808, in use as house by 1815 and as tollhouse from 1818, when the adjacent Coalport Bridge (Scheduled Ancient Monument) underwent major repairs. The ownership of the tollhouse passed to Shropshire County Council in 1922, and it was restored to its present condition after it passed to the Buildings at Risk Trust in 1994. Brick with plain tile roofs and brick stacks. L-plan, with former tollhouse of 1818 facing road and former warehouse of 1793-1808 to rear with c1860 extension to its rear elevation.

Two-storey tollhouse presents single-storey elevation to road, with timber lintel over plank door to left of central axial stack and with square bay window to right. Segmental brick header arch over 6-pane timber casement to left-hand gable and timber lintel over plank door, formerly with gabled porch, to right-hand gable. The ground to the rear falls away steeply, there being a truncated stack and copper projection to rear right, adjacent to a single-storey mid C19 (pre-1856) wash house with central plank double doors: the latter is largely a rebuilding of 1994. To the rear, facing the Severn, is a 2-unit range with central entry, originally the warehouse and built in English stretcher bond brick with dog-tooth eaves. 2 storeys, 2-window front. Segmental header arches over central plank door and flanking 2-light iron casements, each of 3 panes; that to left has been moved following the insertion of the stack to the rear of the tollhouse. Two similar first-floor casements, set under eaves and flanking fixed-pane 4-light casement. Right gable end of this range has segmental brick header arches over glazing bar sash and blocked ground-floor doorway, to the rear being a similar casement above an inserted doorway and a projecting later C19 (c1860) 2-storey wing with lateral stack and on the rear gable two glazing-bar timber casements, that to ground floor having panelled shutters adjoining glazed door.

INTERIOR: not inspected, but known to be largely a result of restoration work. Warehouse has retained timber truss and purlins, and there are some salvaged oak beams.

HISTORY: Its early development as a warehouse (although shortlived and associated with a low-key wharfage) is testament to the burgeoning nature of river traffic in this area of the Severn in the 18th century, and of the industrial activity and monuments that have contributed to the registration of the Ironbridge Gorge area as a World Heritage Site. It has been sensitively restored, and in its external form at least it comprises a fine example of a combined warehouse and tollhouse, prominently located next to Coalport Bridge in this World Heritage Site.

The Toll House, Coalport Bridge, Shropshire. An archaeological and historical report for English Heritage. July 1994. Buildings at Risk Trust.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Buildings at Risk Trust, , The Toll House, Coalport Bridge, Shropshire: An archaeological and historical report, (1994)

National Grid Reference: SJ 70205 02104

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061397 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 08:09:11.

End of official listing