PARISH CHURCH OF ST DENYS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1061769

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST DENYS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST DENYS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061769 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 16:10:45.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST DENYS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven (District Authority)

Parish: Silk Willoughby

National Grid Reference: TF 05726 43003

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 04 SE/TF 0442 - 0542 SILK WILLOUGHBY CHURCH LANE (North Side)

5/80 and 10/80 Parish Church of 1.2.67 St Denys

G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C14, C15, C16, chancel rebuilt 1878, restored 1907-8. Some coursed limestone rubble, ashlar, leaded and slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower and spire, south porch. Tall 2 stage west tower with chamfered plinth, stepped and gabled buttresses, carved flowing openwork parapet, angle pinnacles and fleuron frieze. Set back spire with 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes in alternating directions. In the belfry stage are 2 light cusped traceried bell openings with moulded and shafted pointcd surrounds and hollow moulded hoods. The west window is of 2 lights with cusped flowing tracery to the head. In the west end of the south aisle is a 2 light C14 window with reticulated tracery to the head and a chamfered pointed surround. In the west wall of the north aisle is an early C14 Y-traceried 2 light window, also with a chamfered surround. In the north wall of the aisle are 2 late C14 3 light windows with cusped flowing tracery and deeply chamfered pointed surrounds. Between them is a wide C16 window of 5 stepped lights with 4 centred arched heads and a triangular hollow chamfered surround. The cushion capitals of a blocked early C12 doorway can be seen beneath this window. The 1878 chancel has a chamfered plinth and stepped buttresses. In the side walls are pairs of tall Perpendicular style windows of 3 lights with moulded surrounds and on the north is a smaller matching additional window. The east window is of 5 lights and also has panel tracery to the head. The early C14 south aisle has a 2 light reticulated traceried window to the east and on the south are 2 matching 3 light windows, all with pointed chamfered surrounds. The gabled C14 south porch has a filleted engaged triple shafted outer arch, side benches and an octagonal base for a pillar piscina. The early C14 inner doorway has a moulded and pointed head with 2 orders of ballflowers to the head which has human head stops. The door itself has raised muntins and bears the date 1690. Interior: The tall 3 bay C14 nave arcades have filleted quatrefoil piers, annular capitals and double chamfered arches. The C14 tower arch matches with triple responds and a triple chamfered arched head. The chancel arch has shafted and filleted reveals, annular imposts and a double chamfered arched head. To the north is an ogee headed doorway to the rood loft, the upper doorway of which has a segmental head. To the south of the chancel arch is a cusped ogee headed statue niche. There are traces of red paint on the eastern parts of the nave walls. In the south aisle is a cusped ogee headed piscina and a double aumbry with beaten copper Art Nouveau plaques of vines to the oak doors. In the north aisle are extensive traces of a scheme of wall paintings in red, black, blue and yellow depicting mounted knights wearing surcoats and closed helms. In the chancel is a reset C14 triple sedilia with cusped ogee arches to the openings, moulded shafts, quatrefoil base panel and fleuroned false vaults to the compartments. Above is a brattished cornice. The lower panels also have blank cusped tracery and some red and blue paint. Early C17 octagonal pulpit has blank round headed panels to the sides with guilloche decoration and swags to the base. A fine set of C14 poppyhead benchends with blank cusped traceried panels containing trefoils and quatrefoils. Early C12 round tub font with 2 strand cabled interlacing blank arcading and cushion capitals, C20 carved wooden lid. In the south aisle is a limestone wall plaque to Joseph Clifton, d. 1806, with oval inscription panel and rectangular surround having gadrooned base, fluted frieze and segmental pediment with flanking paterae.

Listing NGR: TF0572643003

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 192715

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing