Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061820.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:12:58.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Kesteven (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 13300 37521


SWATON MAIN STREET TF 13 NW (east side) 8/88 Church of St. Michael 1/2/67 G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C17, restored 1851, 1856 and 1909. Limestone ashlar, some coursed rubble, copper roofs. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north and south transepts, crossing tower. West front has stepped and gabled buttresses and a large 4 light reticulated window in a continuously moulded pointed surround with diminutive annular imposts. To either side are single smaller 2 light matching windows. The north aisle has an embattled parapet and stepped buttresses. A pointed and moulded dodorway is set between 2 three light reticulated windows. In the north wall of the transept is a similar 3 light window. The square 2 stage tower has an embattled parapet with 6 crocketted pinnacles. In the belfry stage are pointed cusped ogee headed louvred openings in hollow chamfered pointed surrounds with hoods. In the lower stage of the tower is a pair of C13 lancets in a pointed chamfered surround. The C13 coursed rubble chancel has stepped ashlar buttresses. There are 3 lancets on the north side with chamfered surrounds and a round headed chamfered doorway with moulded imposts. Fine C13 2 light east window with geometric tracery and quatrefoil in a moulded surround. Above is a blank sunk quatrefoil panel. The south chancel wall also has 3 chamfered lancets. The south transept has a C19 round headed doorway to the east, and to the south a large C17 mullioned and transomed 4 light window with reused C14 moulded reveals. Above is an C18 sundial and there is a reused C17 coffin slab to the gable. In the south side of the tower is a C13 2 light window matching that to the north and below is a blocked C12 round headed window. The south aisle wall contains 2 large 3 light reticulated windows. The gabled south porch has gabled angle buttresses and a moulded outer doorway with double shafts and annular capitals. The inner doorway is also pointed with 2 filleted orders of moulding to the head and angle shafts with annular capitals. Side benches. Interior: tall 3 bay nave arcades, quatrefoil piers with concave quirks, engaged annular capitals and double wave moulded pointed arches. C14 king post tie beam roof of nave continues uninterrupted over the aisles. In the eastern ends of the aisles are double chamfered doorways into the transepts. Above the southern door is an incomplete C13 red painted Wheel of Life. Double chamfered chancel arch with filleted shafted reveals and moulded octagonal imposts. In the north east angle of the nave a short run of C12 chevron ornament marks the springing of an earlier arcade. Above the chancel arch is a 2 light C13 window matching those to the sides of the tower. In the north transept is a C14 piscina with cusped ogee head and crocketted finial, and in the south transept is a plain aumbry and a trilobe headed piscina. In the west wall of the transept is a blocked C12 round headed window. Under the tower are double chamfered arches matching the chancel arch. The rear arch of the east chancel window is shafted and richly moulded. Fittings: Minton tiled sanctuary. A good collection of C14 poppybead bench ends, some 35 in all, with blank panel tracery having trefoils, quatrefoils and foliage. Elements of a C14 screen are reused in the south transept, including a moulding top beam with fleurons. Otherwise the woodwork is all C19 in a matching C14 style. C14 octagonal ashlar font has continous panels of fleurons to the sides, ball flowers to the lower chamfer and an engaged shafted base with annualar capitals. Monuments: early C14 effigy of a lady in the north aisle, she is clad in a wimple with tightly buttoned sleaves, hands clasped in prayer and the feet resting on a dog. In the south aisle is an ashlar plaque to John Billings, d.1773, in the form of a scrolled oval panel with cherub. Also a white marble tablet to John West, gentleman, d.1853, in the form of a plain pedimented obelisk.

Listing NGR: TF1329337523


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/05639/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Patrick Banister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].