CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1061852
Date first listed:
23-Aug-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD, NORTH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1061852.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:59:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD, NORTH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Welbourn
National Grid Reference:
SK 96868 54510

Details

WELBOURN NORTH END SK 95 SE (north side)

4/62 Church of St Chad

23.8.67

GV I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. 1854 restored 1884. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs with coped gables and finials. Heavily moulded plinth. Angled gable buttresses, except on the tower. All openings have hood moulds with label stops. West tower with spire, nave and aisles, chancel and south porch. Tower, 4 stages C12, coursed rubble with low later buttresses with set-offs, and topped with C14 coped battlements and octagonal crocketed spire with 3 sets of alternating lucarnes, and 4 thin flying but- tresses and pinnacles. West front has a C14 moulded and pointed double cham- fered arched doorway, with above a 3-light pointed arched window with moulded cusped reveal. Above again a tiny lancet, then a plain band and then a 2- light bell opening in a round arched opening with an octagonal pier and responds. The north face is blank with a similar bell opening. The south face has a tiny lancet and a similar bell opening, with a stair turret to the east topped with a short octagonal spire with a moulded finial. The north aisle has a single 3-light west window, three 3-light north windows a single 4- light east window, all in pointed, moulded, arched reveals with flowing tracery. The chancel, rebuilt in 1854, has a blank north wall and a large 4- light window to the east, plus two 3-light windows to the south, all in pointed moulded arched reveals with flowing tracery. The south aisle has similar 3-light windows, a single 4-light to the east, three 3-light to the south and another 3-light to the west. The south porch has buttresses with niches, and a coped gable with finial. A pointed moulded arched opening with triple shaft responds and wrought iron gates of 1908. Above a niche with triple canopy containing a carved seated figure. Inside the porch has stone benches and the doorway has a mould pointed arch with double keeled responds. The C15 battlemented clerestory has 4 windows to north and south each 3-light with panel tracery and cusped transoms within pointed arches. The east nave gable contains a small circular quatrofoil window and above a sanctus bell with canopy, to the north is a small octagonal spire which tops the rood stair, and to the south is a large square crocketed pinnacle. INTERIOR: 4-bay north and south nave arcades, with plain double chamfered pointed arches, with octa- gonal piers and responds to the north, the south arcade has triple shaft responds. The tower arch is double chamfered with octagonal responds, the chancel arch is similar with triple shaft responds. The tower arch also has a canearvon arched opening above. Between the clerestory windows are pairs of broad niches with cusped heads. The south aisle has a double pointed arched piscina, and a shallow chamfered tomb recess. Cl9 wooden roofs throughout. C19 wooden pulpit and pews. C19 octagonal font. Marble wall tablet to Robert Knight, and 3 C19 wall tablets to the Disbourne family in the chancel. The east window has C19 stained glass.

Listing NGR: SK9686354509

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192500
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/11835/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Patrick Banister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].