CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062428 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 10:35:38.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Kesteven (District Authority)
- Carlton Scroop
- National Grid Reference:
CARLTON SCROOP MAIN STREET
SK 94 NW
Church of St Nicholas
Parish Church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, C17, C19. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar, slate roofs. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel, vestry. West tower of three stages, lowest stage is C12 of coursed limestone rubble with contemporary ashlar clasping pilaster buttresses. C12 round headed window in the west wall. Upper stages are of ashlar with re-used C14 windows, one with a pointed head in the west side of the middle stage and a single trefoil headed light to the south. The belfry stage has paired ogee headed C14 lights with quatrefoils, but the one on the north is a C17 copy of a C13 double opening. Castellated top is dated 1632 on the south parapet, and that is probably the date of the two topmost stages. North aisle hasps blocked C12 door with a chamfered head and drip mould. In the east and west walls are double C14 lights matching those in the tower. In the north wall is a C15 triple light with C19 ogee headed tracery and flat drip mould with human headed label stops.
C19 vestry against north wall of the-chancel, one simple C13 window to the west of it. All the north side in good C19 dressed limestone rubble apart from the lower parts of the chancel which are of coursed rubble. The chancel east wall has a fine C14 4 light window with developed Y tracery with ogee headed lights beneath a moulded hood mould with foliate label stops. South chancel wall substantially rebuilt in C19 with a recut C13 door and window as well as a recut three light ogee headed C15 window with quatrefoils beneath a flat hood mould, the lower parts of which are original. The south aisle east wall has paired lights matching those in the tower. South wall of aisle is in ashlar with a three light C15 window with cusped trefoil heads and flat hood mould, a rather earlier type than the other triple lights, with human headed label stops to the hood mould. South porch is basically C13 with a fine ribbed stone roof, 4 ribs internally. Outer arch under a hood mould with human headed label stops is finely and deeply moulded with faceted jambs and two nook shafts to the outer jambs with chamfered inner arch, surmounted by coped gable with cross. Low side benches, paired C13 side lights. But in addition to evidence of C19 restoration, there is a date of 1616 in the gable of the porch, suggesting a restoration or reconstruction then too, and the roof with its imitation stone Roman tiles might be of that date. Interior; nave has north and south arcades of two bays with matching octagonal piers, the arches have simple double chamfers. C12 tower arch is massive and of four orders; three steps and a single half roll on the underside. The capitals are either recut or of an unfinished floral design. Hood mould is reeded on the outer face and has later looking quatrefoils on the underside, human headed label stops, with a further projecting head over the keystone. C15 four centred doorway to the rood loft from the north aisle, C13 piscina in the south wall of the same aisle. C13 chancel arch, capitals are octagonal, double chamfered arch. South aisle has C14 piscina in the south wall with cusped trefoil head, 2 C14 statue niches in the east wall. C19 glass in the east window of the aisle and in the west a First World War commemorative window. Both aisles have C16 roofs with moulded principal timbers. The chancel was apparently shortened because there is a C13 double piscina on the south side which is now partly concealed by the south end of the east wall. The piscinaehave auflat lintel over supported by a single octagonal shaft with a floriate capital, fluted basins. Sedilia to west of piscina with low arched head, C19 aumbry in north wall. East window has fine C14 glass in upper parts, partly brought from elsewhere. Two panels show the donor and his wife, who is unusually dressed as a nun, presenting a shield of arms to Christ in Majesty. The lower panels have at the centre a coat of arms. 4 floriate trefoils and abstract and panelled patterns. C19 arch to vestry in the north wall. Cl7 oak pulpit with panelled sides decorated with half paterae, standing on an arcaded base with turned pendents. C14 font on a square base with stop chamfers, an octagonal bowl with richly traceried windows in each panel. Easternmost pair of pews in the north aisle are crude late C15 poppyheads, 7 others are C16 with plain shouldered ends with rolled taps. Monuments; good black marble tombstone dated 1699 beneath south aisle altar and three spirited though barbarous early C18 wall tablets with an urn, Death's Head, Cherubs and pyramidal pinnacles, all in the south aisle. Marble wall plaque on north wall of north aisle to John Peachell, Gent., d. 1727, with open pediment, urns and floriated cartouche containing painted arms.
Listing NGR: SK9476445005
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing