This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1062659



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Market Deeping

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194499

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



12/114 The Old Rectory and the East Wing 6.5.52 . . (formerly listed as The Rectory)

G.V. I

Former rectory, now 2 houses. Early C14 refectory or infirmary to the Priory of Market Deeping, a cell of Thorney Abbey. Converted to a rectory after the dissolution with alterations of mid C18, and extensions and further alterations of 1832 by Thomas Pilkington for Rev. W. Hildyard, in a Gothick style. Minor C20 alterations. Coursed limestone rubble, with ashlar quoins and dressings, plain tiled roofs with single raised roll moulded gable to right. 2 ridge and single gable moulded ashlar stacks. C14 open hall with screens passage, reduced, probably by 2 bays in mid C18 when it was also floored in, and extended eastwards in 1832. North front consists of 2 storey plus attics, irregular 4 bay front having plinth, string courses, plain parapet and 3 stepped buttresses. Off-centre gabled porch with rounded and chamfered outer doorway with moulded hood, containing planked double doors. To the right is a tall 2 light, possibly early C16, transomed window with Caernarvon arched heads to the 2 tiers of lights and in the top, having hood mould with zoomorphic stops. To the right a 3 storey canted bay window, a stone replacement of a simpler wooden one to the ground floor only, having embattled parapet, tall ovolo moulded mullioned lights to each floor. To the left are 2 storeys and 3 bays of the 1832 addition having 3 mullioned and transomed glazing bar casements to the ground floor and 3 two light casements to the upper floor, all with chamfered surrounds and moulded hoods. To the left a recessed single storey service bay contains a mullioned and transomed window. To the west gable end of the shortened hall block is a 2 light window with pointed lights and circle over. To first floor a 2 light window with chamfered surround and a recut C14 3 light window with cusped ogee heads to the lights, moulded surround and hood. In the gable a further 2 light window with Gothick wooden cusping having pointed heads and hood. The garden or south front has been regularised in 1832 of 3 principal bays, the outer bays being advanced and separately gabled. To either side of the middle bay are single half glazed doors with Gothick tracery and hood moulds. At the centre is a C16 style hall window matching that to the north. Above this is a smaller matching C19 2 light window. In the gable over is a shield bearing the arms of Rev. Hildyard and the date 1832. To either side are single rectangular bay windows containing 5 light windows with transomes, having elaborate carved Gothick cusping and pointed heads. To first floor are single similar windows and in the gables pierced quatrelobes. Interior. The internal entrance door is planked with 2 original C14 strap hinges and curved terminals, with 2 rails to strengthen the door, set in a contemporary pointed and roll moulded door surround. 3 full bays of the C15 open hall roof survive and consist of tie beams defining the main bays with secondary bays defined by short hammer beams, with curved cavetto moulded bracing. The hammer beams are supported on grotesque corbels. The roof has moulded collars, butt purlins and large wall plate. Set in the hall is a mid C18 imperial stair with turned balusters and panelled square newels. At the service end of the hall are 3 chamfered and pointed doorways with reset hood moulds and zoomorphic stops, probably the original screens passage service openings. The hall also contains a mid C18 carved chimneypiece. The lounge, added in 1832, has Gothick details including plaster cornice, ceiling centrepiece and fireplace. Source: D. L. Roberts, RAI proceedings 1974.

Listing NGR: TF1372310329

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Royal Archaeological Institute' in Proceedings of the Royal Archaeological Institute, (1974)

National Grid Reference: TF 13723 10329


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1062659 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 02:30:56.

End of official listing