CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, LOUTH ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063023.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:03:06.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, LOUTH ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Lindsey (District Authority)
- South Somercotes
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 41590 93800
SOUTH SOMERCOTES LOUTH ROAD
TF 49 SW (south side)
Church of St Peter
5/73 (formerly listed as Church
9.3.67 of St Mary)
Parish church. c.1200, C14, C15, C16, restored 1866, 1896. Limestone, greenstone and ironstone coursed rubble, limestone ashlar, some red brick. Slate and lead roofs, the former with decorative red ridge tiles. West tower with spire, nave with north and south aisles, and south porch, chancel. Mid C14 west tower with moulded plinth and string course, and 3 stage diagonal buttresses. C15 west doorway inserted into lower sections of C14 window above, with gently pointed head, rectangular hood mould with angel busts in spandrels, head label stops and plank door. C14 pointed window above with 3 lights containing Y tracery design with central cusped ogee head, hood mould and head label stops. Bell stage with some early red brick patching with bell openings on all 4 sides, each a pointed opening, with 2 cusped ogee headed lights and reticulated tracery. Moulded eaves and coped parapet above. Recessed octagonal spine with 4 lower pairs of ogee headed lucarnes including ogee headed doorway to east. 2 tiers of single light lucarnes above. Plinth and moulded string course runs round north aisle. North side with C15 window to west with triangular head, 2 pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Doorway to east with pointed head, moulded surround in one, and plank door with intersecting tracery. 2 C15 windows to east, both with triangular heads and 3 cusped pointed lights, panel tracery, and hood mould. Chancel with C15 round headed window, 3 cusped lights and hood mould. Moulded string course stops below this window to east, with higher C13 string course resuming in higher position. Below to east a blocked C13 doorway with segmental head. Coped parapet above. East end flanked by 2 stage buttresses with C15 round headed window with 3 cusped lights and hood mould. South side of chancel with pointed early C13 doorway to east, blocked at early date with semi-circular window with cavetto moulded mullion inserted. Blocked C15 doorway to west with four centred head and window above, restored in C19, with round head and 3 cusped lights, that in centre with ogee shaped head. String course to west runs under C15 round headed window with 3 cusped lights and hood mould. South aisle with plinth and moulded string course and with 2 C15 windows, both with triangular heads, 3 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Gabled C16 south porch to west with red brick alternating with bands of greenstone. Pointed south doorway with double chamfered head and jambs in one. Pointed C15 interior doorway with moulded head and jambs in one and plank door with intersecting tracery. West end of aisle with C15 window with triangular head, 2 pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Tall C14 interior tower arch with pointed double chamfered head supported on corbel heads. Tall C19 wooden railing runs across with pointed, cusped tracery. 5 bay early C13 north and south arcades with round piers with octagonal abaci, keeled responds, double chamfered, pointed heads with human heads (some C19) in spandrels. Early C13 chancel arch with keeled responds and double chamfered, pointed head. C14 screen restored in C19, including 5 upper late C14 openwork traceried panels with ogee cusped heads with rosettes and panel tracery. Lower blind traceried panels C19. Early C13 blocked south doorway in chancel with steeply pointed head and chamfered surround in one. Small aumbry to east with cusped head and outline of crocketed and finialled gable above. Early C18 altar rail with slender turned supports with square knops and moulded handrail with 4 round ball finials and central gates. C19 and C20 roofs. C20 chairs. C19 choir stalls. Pink marble monument of 1906 to T.B. Freshney. Several fragments on south west window ledge of nave including boss carved with Tudor rose, fragment of door jamb and several fragments with lettering and fleur-de-lys. C15 octagonal font with symbols of the instruments of the Passion on east face, 8 human heads below, moulded band with flower head above, pedestal with moulded ribs and square plinth.
Listing NGR: TF4158993810
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing