WATERMILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1063077
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
WATERMILL, ABBEY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WATERMILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063077 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 07:06:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
WATERMILL, ABBEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Alvingham
National Grid Reference:
TF3665491404

Details

ALVINGHAM ABBEY LANE TF 39 SE (east side) 4/5 Watermill 9.3.67 G.V. II*

Watermill. C17, 1782 by John Maddison, c.1900, restored 1972. Red brick, mostly colourwashed. Pantile roof with stone coped gables. 3 storeys including upper storey added in 1872. 4 bay front including wheelhouse to left, added in 1782, plus lean-to of c.1900 added to left hand return wall. Doorway to right with segmental head and plank door. Glazing bar window to left with segmental head. Clear break in bonding of brickwork to left with segmental headed opening beyond, with footbridge over it and second segmental headed opening behind allowing access of water to wheelhouse. Lean-to of c.1900 beyond with plank door. Doorway above to right with segmental head, plank door and platform in front of it. 2 small glazing bar windows to left, both with segmental heads. Wheel of belt pulley to left, inserted c.1900 to power pea-sorting machine intact inside lean- to to left. 3 small sliding sashes above, all with segmental heads, pulley immediately above window to right. Shuttered opening in lean-to to left. Interior with breast shot waterwheel of 1782, 11 feet in diameter, large axle spokes and cheek plates of cast iron with dovetailed joints; 32 buckets of wrought iron and elm board. 2 slide valves at axle height in good working order. Cast iron pit wheel and wallower. Auxiliary drive from pit wheel to drive internal and external belt pulleys. First floor with 2 pairs of Peak stones in use, one pair with feed hopper and casing of c.1972. Pair of French burr stones not in use. Stones driven by vertical shaft via wooden toothed gear wheel. Vertical shaft continues to top floor to drive sask hoist with wooden faced clutch wheel. All the machinery of 1782, restored in c.1972, and is now in good working order and regularly used. Watermill known to have been on site since 1155. Water channelled from River Lud and culverted under Louth Canal in brick tunnel.

Listing NGR: TF3665491404

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
195447
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05900/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].