CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063096.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:10:55.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Lindsey (District Authority)
- East Barkwith
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 16579 81490
EAST BARKWITH CHURCH LANE
TF 18 SE
2/9 Church of
Parish church. Early C12, mid C13, mid C15, C17, 1846 by J. B. Atkinson, 1868-9 by R. J. Withers. Coursed ironstone rubble, coursed limestone rubble, greenstone rubble blocks, limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles and stone coped gables with cross finials. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, chancel with north vestry, south organ chamber. Plinth runs round entire church. Mid C15 ironstone 3 stage west tower with 2 lower moulded string courses and diagonal 3 stage buttresses. Pointed west window with bowtell moulded surround, 3 cusped, ogee headed lights, vertical tracery with some crenellated decoration, hood mould and head label stops. 2 moulded string courses above. C17 bell openings on all 4 sides, each a pair of rectangular lights divided by filleted mullion. Moulded eaves with corner gargoyles, broad battlements and small ornate pinnacles on corners. North aisle of 1868-9. Rectangular west window with single ogee cusped light, 2 cusped oculi and rectangular window. 2 stage diagonal buttress. 2 three light windows with 2 light window to right and 2 light window to left, all with cusped ogee heads, cusped oculi and rectangular hood moulds. Parapet above. 2 stage buttress to east. North vestry of 1868-9 with pointed north doorway with chamfered surround and plank door. 2 light rectangular east window with ogee cusped heads and rectangular hood mould. Chancel of 1846 with moulded string course. North side with single narrow rectangular window with cusped, pointed head and rectangular hood mould. Pointed east window with 3 cusped and pointed lights, vertical tracery and hood mould. South side with rectangular 2 light window with cusped pointed heads and hood mould. Gabled organ chamber of 1868 to west with string course and diagonal 2 stage buttresses. South window with rectangular window with 2 pointed, cusped lights and rectangular hood mould. South side of nave rebuilt in 1868 with 2 rectangular windows, that to right of 2 lights, to left of 3 lights, and with ogee cusped lights, cusped oculi and rectangular hood mould. C15 gabled south porch with small windows in east and west sides, each of 2 small, pointed cusped lights cut out of single stone. Pointed south doorway with moulded head and jambs in one, hood mould, head label stops, that to east, C19. Niche above with ornate canopy, Virgin and Child and angel corbel. Porch interior with flanking wooden settles. C15 pointed south doorway with moulded head and jambs in one and plank door. South side of nave to west of porch with rectangular window of 2 cusped, ogee headed lights with 4 cupsed oculi above and rectangular hood mould. West end of south aisle with C19 lancet with chamfered surround. Tall C15 interior tower arch with pointed head and richly moulded jambs in one. North arcade of 1868-9 of 4 bays with double chamfered, pointed heads, polygonal piers, semi-circular western respond and polygonal eastern respond. Mid C13 ironstone south arcade of 4 bays with double chamfered, pointed heads, polygonal piers, semi-circular western respond and polygonal eastern respond. Vestry doorway in east end of north aisle with pointed head, chamfered surround in one and plank door. Organ chamber archway in east end of south aisle with C19 pointed, chamfered head and rectangular jambs. C15 pointed chancel arch with richly moulded head and jambs in one. Chancel with north vestry doorway with pointed head, chamfered surround in one and plank door. Organ arch to south with pointed head and narrow chamfered surround in one. C19 piscina to east with cusped ogee openings to west and north divided by plain column. C19 roofs with ornate ashlar corbels. Broad plaster band runs round chancel with vineleaf and grape decoration. C19 reredos of 3 painted wooden panels with censing angels flanking crucifix. C19 altar rail, lecterns, C20 pews. Metal gilt pulpit by Christopher Turnor with panels decorated with vine leaves and grapes. C15 octagonal font on spurred plinth, tall octagonal base, bowl with heads, fleurons and shields. Fragments of medieval glass incorporated into C19 window to left of altar.
Listing NGR: TF1657981490
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing