This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GORDON WORKING LADS INSTITUTE NOW KIRKDALE COMMUNITY CENTRE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GORDON WORKING LADS INSTITUTE NOW KIRKDALE COMMUNITY CENTRE

List entry Number: 1063299

Location

KIRKDALE COMMUNITY CENTRE, 238A, STANLEY ROAD, KIRKDALE, LIVERPOOL, L5 7QP

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Liverpool

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 359586

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3493 16/1210

STANLEY ROAD L4 No 238a, Gordon Working Lads Institute, now Kirkdale Community Centre

(Formerly listed as Kirkdale Community Centre, STANLEY ROAD)

GV II

Working Lads' Institute,1886, by David Walker of Liverpool. Common brick with red brick dressings, slate roof. In a form of North European Late Gothic. Two storeys with attics, 9 x 5 bays; two bays at each end break forward under shaped gables. Windows have elliptical heads with blind tracery in the tympana and small-paned casements. Gables contain two oeil-de-boeuf windows. First three bays of the return have stepped gables.

History: It is thought to be Britain's oldest surviving purpose-built Boys’ Club and set the standard for many clubs that followed it. The Institute was erected at a cost of £50,000 by William Cliff, a Liverpool merchant, as a memorial to his eldest son who died at 11 years of age in 1853. The Institute was so named to commemorate and perpetuate the memory of Major General Charles Gordon, who was killed in battle at Khartoum in 1885, prompting an outbreak of national mourning and hero-worship. The ethos of the Institute was to promote educational, recreational and sporting facilities to poor and disadvantaged boys of Liverpool and so help them to live 'happy and useful lives' (as stated on an extensive marble plaque in the vestibule).

The building closed in 1995 but was revived in 2000 by a local action group. An £800,000 grant from the European Regional Development Fund provided the means for extensive restoration of many of the internal features.

Listing NGR: SJ3467493460

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 34674 93460

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063299 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 07:32:36.

End of official listing