CAISTOR GRAMMAR SCHOOL OLD BUILDING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1063385

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CAISTOR GRAMMAR SCHOOL OLD BUILDING, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CAISTOR GRAMMAR SCHOOL OLD BUILDING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063385 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 23:42:49.

Location

Statutory Address: CAISTOR GRAMMAR SCHOOL OLD BUILDING, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Caistor

National Grid Reference: TA 11527 01298

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 1001-1101 CAISTOR CHURCH STREET (North Side)

9/50 Caistor Grammar 1-11-66 School Old Building

G.V. II

School hall. 1631 with alterations of C19 heavily restored in 1930. Squared coursed ironstone rubble with sandstone and limestone dressings, rudimentary quoins, pantiled roof with raised stone roll moulded coped gables; one wall stack. Rectangular plan with C19 extension to right. Single storey 3 bay south front surmounted by a hollow moulded string course with roll crested battlements above. Off centre planked 1930 door has a plain rounded arched head, originally with chamfered arrises. Above the door is an inscribed rectangular panel, 1930, set in a hollow moulded sandstone head with a Latin inscription recording the foundation of the school by Francis Rawlinson, Rector of the Church of St. Nicholas at South Kelsey in 1631. To either side of the door are single slightly projecting rectangular bays, each containing a 3 light window beneath hollow moulded depressed 4 centred hood moulds with simple horizontal stops. The leaded lights have iron transomes and each has a single horizonatally hinged light at the base. The mullions are chamfered, the hoods 4 centred, the spandrels are sunken wedges. Inside, the panelling and other fittings date from the 1930 restoration. The fireplace consists of a moulded 4 centred arch stopping in stop chamfers, in the spandrels are sunk stepped panels. In the north (rear) wall of the building, 2 original large blocked windows can be seen to either side of the projecting brick stack; there was a further window, now blocked, high up in the west wall.

Listing NGR: TA1152701298

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 196601

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing